Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



The Pioneers win their state playoff opener and will host Mountainside on Tuesday.

PMG PHOTO: MILES VANCE - Oregon City senior Rachel Remsburg (second from left) gets hugged by senior Kaydyn Guelsdorf after Remsburg scored in overtime to beat Barlow 2-1 in the first round of the Class 6A state playoffs at Pioneer Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 30.It wasn't supposed to be like this.

The Oregon City girls soccer team was the sixth-ranked team in the state. The Pioneers had just finished second in the powerful Three Rivers League, and they were supposed to roll to victory in their Class 6A state playoff opener.

Instead, Oregon City found itself tied with No. 27 Barlow after 80 minutes and headed into overtime with its season on the line.

But the Pioneers came through when it counted most, scoring the game-winning goal with 2 minutes, 2 seconds left in the second half of overtime to beat the Bruins 2-1 at Pioneer Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 30.

"It feels amazing. We just worked for it, and we just wanted it that much more than them," said Oregon City senior defender Rachel Remsburg, who scored her team's game-winning goal. "At halftime, it was a little scary, but in the second half we came out wanting it more and that's what got us the win."

"It was super back and forth, so I was super proud of my team for finishing it and never giving up and getting that goal," added OC junior midfielder Amelia Spellman, who assisted on Remsburg's game-winning shot.

With the win — the team's sixth straight — Oregon City improved its overall record to 12-4 and advanced to the second round of the playoffs. Barlow, meanwhile, lost for the second straight time and ended its season at 9-4-3 after winning the Mt. Hood Conference title.

Oregon City 2, Barlow 1

As Spellman said, the first half was a back-and-forth tug of war, with Oregon City knotting the score at 1-1 thanks to a penalty kick goal by freshman midfielder Olivia Bariao-Arce.

In the second half, it seemed for the longest time that Oregon City was destined to break through, the Pioneers getting dangerous attacks from Spellman (an angled shot that was tipped away by Barlow senior keeper Camryn Waibel seven minutes into the half) and Bariao-Arce (in a one-on-one attempt off a Spellman free kick that Waibel stopped 12 minutes into the half).

On their side of the field, the Bruins' best chance to break the tie came when senior forward and team captain Abbie Nelson got a one-on-one chance that was stopped by OC senior keeper Sophia Barr less than a minute after Bariao-Arce's shot.

In the first half of overtime, Barlow got early shots from senior Samantha Spring and Nelson, while Oregon City sophomore Taylor Alexander had two shots on goal in the final minute.

Then, late in the second 10-minute half of overtime, Spellman sent a long free kick into the left side of the Barlow penalty box and Remsburg ran onto the ball in a crowd and knocked it home off her right knee.

"The last one, it was Mia — she placed it right and I was just there at the right time," Remsburg said. "It was just enough to get it in the goal. It feels great to get it into the back of the net no matter how you hit it."

"That was amazing," Spellman added. "Every time I take a free kick, I just try to place it well and someone's going to connect with it. Rachel's always there for it. Just seeing it swoosh against the back of the net — that is the best feeling ever."

Next up, the Pioneers will host No. 11 Mountainside — the fourth-place finisher from the Metro League — at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 2, at Pioneer Memorial Stadium.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework