Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Cody Levi Melby was found guilty of firing shots at the Mark Hatfield U.S. Courthouse in January 2021

A Beavercreek man was sentenced Nov. 1 for discharging a firearm into the Mark O. Hatfield U.S. Courthouse in downtown Portland on Jan. 8, 2021.

Cody Levi Melby, 40, was sentenced to five years of federal probation.COURTESY PHOTO: U.S. ATTORNEY'S OFFICE FOR OREGON - 39-year-old Cody Melby of Beavercreek was sentenced after he fired five shots from a handgun at the Mark O. Hatfield U.S. Courthouse in Portland on Jan. 8.

"Cody Melby is a disabled combat veteran who, after becoming detached from his mental health support system, made an extraordinarily poor and dangerous decision to fire a gun at the Hatfield Courthouse. Fortunately, nobody was injured during this incident," said Scott Erik Asphaug, acting U.S. attorney for the District of Oregon. "The sentence imposed today will ensure Mr. Melby receives the treatment he needs while also protecting the community."

"We commend the work of our partners, the Federal Protective Service and U.S. Attorney's Office, in resolving this troubling incident. When appropriate, we are always looking for ways to divert people away from violence and direct them toward rehabilitation. In many cases this happens out of the public eye, but in a situation like this one, we want to highlight that a holistic response is sometimes more effective," said Kieran L. Ramsey, special agent in charge of the FBI in Oregon.

According to court documents, around 7:35 p.m. Jan. 8, Melby jumped over a security fence at the Hatfield Federal Courthouse and fired several rounds into the building's exterior with a 9mm handgun.

Two courthouse security officers exited the building and approached Melby after observing him on a closed-circuit security camera. Melby told the officers he had a gun, and the officers placed him in handcuffs without further incident.

Federal Protective Service officers dispatched to the scene located five spent 9mm bullet casings, three spent bullets, three bullet holes in plywood affixed to the building's stone columns, and damage to the metal soffit above the building's main entrance.

After his arrest, Melby was charged by criminal complaint with destruction of government property. Later, on Jan. 21, a federal grand jury in Portland returned a one-count indictment charging Melby with possession of a firearm in a federal facility. On Oct. 14, Melby pleaded guilty to the single charge.

This case was investigated by the Federal Protective Service and FBI. It was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Paul Maloney.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework