Officer Chris Brosseau, partially blinded by gunfire, is back after eye surgery and 435 days of recovery.

After 435 days and many surgeries, the men and women of the Oregon City Police Department welcomed Officer Christopher Brosseau back to patrol duties.COURTESY PHOTO: OCPD - Oregon City police welcomed Officer Christopher Brosseau, back row in front of the OCPD badge, returning to patrol duties after 435 days and many surgeries.

A fleeing suspect's gunfire injured Brosseau during an incident in May 2021, police said.

Brosseau, a veteran OCPD officer since 2018, underwent surgery to remove a metal object from his eye and was released from the hospital the following morning. Brosseau received medical care from eye specialists who worked to restore his vision as he recovered from home.

"While the road hasn't been easy, Officer Brosseau's resilience and courage to get back in the seat of a patrol car are a testament to his character and an example for all of us to follow," said Sgt. Dave Edwins. "We are proud of you, Officer Brosseau! We are also thankful for the continued support our great city and citizens have shown us along the way!"COURTESY PHOTO: OCPD - Chris Brosseau is a member of the Oregon City Police Department.

Police say that the driver of the suspect vehicle, Gerald Leroy Barnes II, discharged a firearm multiple times at law enforcement officers, as Brosseau was setting up spike strips on Highway 213 just south of Redland Road. According to OCPD, forensic investigation on the piece of metal removed from Brosseau's eye has confirmed the material was a piece of shattered bullet shot by Barnes.COURTESY PHOTO: OCPD - Chris Brosseau

Multiple citizens and officers stopped to render aid to Brosseau after his eye was injured.

Barnes' shots led county deputies to return fire. The suspect was struck once in the shoulder and deputies were able to take him into custody.

Barnes' injuries were determined not to be serious, and he was released from the hospital shortly after he was admitted. Barnes was subsequently lodged at the Clackamas County Jail on the charges of attempted aggravated murder, attempted assault, unlawful use of a weapon and attempt to elude.COURTESY PHOTO: CCSO - Gerald Leroy Barnes II allegedly used this weapon to injure Oregon City Police Officer Chris Brosseau's eye.

Barnes' case is still being reviewed after a circuit judge sent him to the Oregon State Hospital and ordered psychological evaluation to determine whether he is fit to stand trial or participate in his criminal defense.Gerald Leroy Barnes II

Danielle Therson, a licensed psychologist with the Northwest Forensic Institute, wrote in court documents that Barnes has been diagnosed with "unspecified schizophrenia spectrum and other psychotic disorder," which applies in situations when psychotic symptoms are present, but insufficient evidence is available to diagnose a specific disorder.

Therson said that Barnes has "a history of problematic consumption of cocaine and alcohol," and his urine drug screen was positive for cocaine during his most recent arrest. Barnes believes that his attorneys are associated with the Ku Klux Klan and refuses to consider options other than a jury trial.

"It is my opinion that although Mr. Barnes does have the present ability to understand the nature of the proceedings, that he does not have the present ability to cooperate with counsel or participate in his defense," Therson wrote.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!