FONT & AUDIO
My View: Math oddities for Anthony Bourdain's 62nd birthday
I was shocked and deeply saddened by the death of worldwide known chef Anthony Bourdain. I really enjoyed watching his "Parts Unknown" on CNN and admired his real friendly personality. He was a true world citizen who had a genuine ability to blend in with people from anywhere in the world and share with them their foods and stories. People who met him quickly felt his warmness and gained his trust and friendship.
Bourdain's death was a huge loss for all humanity. I wish I had the opportunity to meet him personally, I would have welcomed him to my house and share my culture, I have no doubt that he would have enjoyed it genuinely. I feel I have lost a close friend and I sincerely believe such a friend is hard to find.
Monday, June 25, would have marked Bourdain's 62nd birthday, and I constructed a dozen birthday math curiosities in his honor:
• Bourdain's birth date June 25 is a square-number birthday in both American and European calendar date formats: June 25 in American month/day date format expressed as 6/25 or simply as 625 equals the square of 25. Further, 25 June expressed in the European day/month date format as 256 equals 16 square.
• Bourdain died at 61 and the reverse of 61, namely 16, is the square root of 256, Bourdain's birth date, 25 June.
• Bourdain died on 06/08/2018 and the sum of the digits of this date equals 25, which is the square root of 625, Bourdain's birth date, June 25.
• If 06/08/2018 is split into 06, 08, 20, and 18, the sum of these four numbers equals 52 and the reverse of 52 is 25 too.
• Bourdain died in 2018 at age 61 and the reverse of 61, namely 16, multiplied by the sum of the left and right halves of 2018, namely 20 and 18, results in 0608, the day of Bourdain's death.
• If numbers 1 to 26 are assigned to the letters of the English alphabet, the sum of the numbers assigned to the letters of Bourdain equals 84. Bourdain died on 06/08 and the product of 06 and 08 equals 48. The reverse of 48 is 84, the sum of the numbers assigned to the letters of Bourdain.
• Bourdain died in 2018 which equals 2 times 1009 and 2 and 1009 are the 1st and 169th prime numbers. The difference of 1 and 169 equals 168 which is twice 84 (Bourdain).
• Moreover, Bourdain was born in 1956 which equals 2 x 2 x 3 x 163 where these three prime factors also add up to 168.
• The sum of the numbers assigned to the letters of Anthony equals 97 and 97 is the 25th prime number and again, 25 is the square root of 625, Bourdain's birth date, June 25.
• The digits of 97 add up to 16 and again, 16 equals the square root of 256, Bourdain's birth date, 25 June.
• If Bourdain was alive, he would have celebrated his 62nd birthday, and the reverse of 62, namely, 26 multiplied by 2 yields 52, which is the reverse of 25, and again, 25 is the square root of 625, Bourdain's square birthday, June 25.
• Lastly, Bourdain was born on the 177th day of 1956 where the prime factors of 177, namely 3 and 59, add up to 62.
I hope you rest in peace, Anthony Bourdain.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.