Tuesday, Feb. 12, marks the 210th birthday of Abraham Lincoln, the 16th U.S. President.
Until his assassination in April 1865, Lincoln led the nation through turbulent times. He helped to preserve the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government and modernized the economy.
Here are 16 number curiosities that I constructed as a tribute to this great man on his 210th birthday:
• Lincoln's birthday number 210 is special because it equals the product of the first four prime numbers, namely, 2, 3, 5, and 7.
• Also, half of 210 equals 105 and coincidentally, the 105th day of 1865 is April 15, the day Lincoln died.
• Furthermore, April 15 coincides with the 106th day of each leap year and interestingly, twice 106 yields 212, Lincoln's birth date, Feb. 12 (2/12).
• This year (2019), April 15 will mark the 154th anniversary of Lincoln's death and interestingly, 154 interpreted in day/month date format as 15/4 is 15 April.
• Next year (2020) will be Lincoln's 211th birthday and the reverse of 211, namely 112, equals twice 56. Note that Lincoln died at 56 years old.
• Lincoln's 212th birthday to occur in 2021 will be very special since 212 also coincides with his birth date, Feb. 12 (2/12).
• Moreover, his 212th birthday in 2021 expressed in day/month/year date format as 12/02/2021 will be an eight-digit palindrome date. Does Lincoln have other numerical palindromes in his life?
• If Lincoln's birthday 02/12/1809 is split as 0212 and 1809, 1809 and the reverse of 0212, namely 2120, differ by 311 and interestingly, Lincoln's 311th birthday expressed as 02/12/2120 is another eight-digit palindrome date.
• Lincoln's birth date expressed as 212 (Feb. 12) is a palindrome.
• The sum of the prime factors of 212, namely 2 and 53, equals palindrome 55.
• Lincoln's 303rd birthday will occur in 2112.
• If numbers 1 to 26 are assigned to the letters of the English alphabet, the sum of the numbers assigned to the letters of Abraham equals 44, another palindrome.
• The sum of the numbers assigned to the letters of Lincoln equals 79 and 79 is the 22nd prime number.
• The sum of the numbers assigned to the letters of Abraham Lincoln equals 123 and the prime factors of 123, namely 3 and 41, add up to 44.
• April 15 expressed as 415 equals 5 x 83 and the sum of 5 and 83 equals 88.
• Lastly, Abraham Lincoln consists of 14 letters and 14 equals the sum of the month and day numbers of Lincoln's birthday. Additionally, the 14th prime number is 43 and coincidentally, Lincoln's birthday always occurs on the 43rd day of each year.
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)