Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.

FONT & AUDIO

MORE STORIES


You can donate to your favorite nonpriofit this month and get a tax credit next year.

COURTESY PHOTO - Chuck Sams III is chair of the Oregon Cultural Trust Board.Across Oregon we have seen the suffering of our local industries, especially our arts and culture sector, who are most vulnerable to the effects of this pandemic. Performing arts organizations, museums, concert halls, libraries, theater groups and dance companies have taken a huge hit due to closures and restrictions on large gatherings.

In June, an Oregon Cultural Trust survey revealed the devastating financial impact of the pandemic on arts and cultural organizations. By mid-July, Oregon led the nation in allocating $25.9 million in federal CARES Act funds to the arts and culture community through the Cultural Trust's County Cultural Coalition network. The funding reached 621 organizations in every corner of the state and saved many from permanent closure — but the crisis and their losses continue.

Now, in a focused effort to help our cultural community recover in 2021, the Cultural Trust is urging more Oregonians to donate to organizations they value and to use Oregon's cultural tax credit to leverage greater annual funding for culture. Donors simply give to one or more of the 1,450-plus cultural nonprofits the Cultural Trust supports, then make a matching donation to the trust before Dec. 31. The donation to the trust comes back, dollar for dollar, when the donor claims the cultural tax credit on their state taxes. Meanwhile, the trust donation sends a signal to the Legislature to set those funds aside to support cultural projects.

The Cultural Trust annually distributes up to 60% of funds raised to its five statewide partners, county and tribal cultural coalitions (who provide the funds to their communities) and directly to cultural organizations through a competitive grant program. The remaining 40% is invested in the trust's permanent fund to support culture for future generations.

Please help our arts, history, heritage and humanities nonprofits survive the pandemic by donating to the Cultural Trust and claiming your tax credit.

Until the curtain rises again, let's protect Oregon culture together.

Chuck Sams III is the deputy executive director of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla Indian Reservation and chair of the Oregon Cultural Trust Boar. He can be reached at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. Visit

to make a donation or learn more.

How to help our local arts groups

Oregon's Cultural Trust supports nearly 1,500 Oregon nonprofit cultural institutions. To find out what local arts and culture groups qualify for the state tax credit, visit

, where you can search by name, city or county.


You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by JoomlaShine.com | powered by JSN Sun Framework