Coming to venues this week (tickets still available at press time):
• Celebrating Portland-based production company Banana Stand Media's 10-year anniversary, the 1939 Ensemble, Psychomagic and Kulululu play Mississippi Studios, 3939 N. Mississippi Ave., 9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 22. Tickets: $5, www.mississippistudios.com.
• Along with Q Morrow, Portland native Lilla takes the stage at the Jack London Revue, 529 S.W. Fourth Ave., 9 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 23. She used to play in a band with Esperanza Spalding, as they pushed the boundaries of hip hop and jazz, and each provided guest vocals for hip hop, R&B and jazz musicians. The multi-instrumentalist has put out her second self-produced album, "The Awakening," and she has toured in the past year and played festivals as well as joined Allen Stone and Thievery Corporation as tour opener. Lilla has recorded and performed with Annie Lennox, Trombone Shorty, Ciara, Damian and Stephen Marley, Talib Kweli, Willie Nelson, Mos Def, Michael Franti and Spearhead, Carole King, Kenny G and more. Tickets: $15, www.roselandpdx.com
• It's an all-female hip hop showcase hosted by Blossom at the Doug Fir Lounge, 830 E. Burnside St., 9 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 23. Tickets: $10-$12, www.dougfirlounge.com. The night features Blossom, Karma Rivera and Wynne.
• Portland's roots-rock-Americana group Ducky Pig features the father-son rhythm section of drummer Roger North (Freak Mountain Ramblers) and bass player Tye North (Leftover Salmon) and guitarists Lewi Longmire and Scott Law (Phil Lesh and Friends). They'll play the Doug Fir Lounge, 830 E. Burnside St., 9 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 26. Tickets: $10-$15, www.dougfirlounge.com.
Buy your tickets soon ...
We'll have more next week, but here's a heads-up on some local New Year's Eve shows in Portland:
• Portland folk-rockers Fruition play the Crystal Ballroom on 8:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 30, and 9 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 31. The band just announced its forthcoming album, "Watching It All Fall Apart," will be released Feb. 2 via LoHi Records. The first single is "I'll Never Sing Your Name." Fruition is coming off a tour with Greensky Bluegrass. For more: www.crystalballroompdx.com.
• World travelers Jerry Joseph and the Jackmormons return to their adopted hometown for shows at the Doug Fir Lounge, 9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, Dec. 30-31. For more: www.dougfirlounge.com.
• Portland singer Caleb Klauder and his country band's New Year's Eve "Rhinestone Bash!" takes place at 8:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 31, at the Spare Room Lounge. The Western Centuries opens. For more: www.calebklauder.com.
• Mason Jennings plays Alberta Rose Theatre, 7 and 10 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 31, returns to perform in Portland for the first time in years. For more: www.albertarosetheatre.com.