• Double bass player Edgar Meyer and his classical/bluegrass Americana joins the symphony for Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring Suite," as well as Giovanni Bottesini's "Double Bass Concerto No. 2," his own "Double Bass Concerto No. 3" and William Grant Still's "Afro-American Symphony." Norman Huynh conducts. Details: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, 1037 S.W. Broadway, www.orsymphony.org, starting at $35.
• Grammy Award-winning jazz/Broadway singer Leslie Odom Jr., who originated the role of Aaron Burr in "Hamilton," joins the symphony, conducted by Thomas Douglas, 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 20 at the Schnitz. Tickets start at $35.
Fear No Music
The music company celebrates Oregon Culture with "Locally Sourced Sounds V," newly composed music made in Oregon.
It'll feature works by Yiyang Wang ("Converse" for viola and piano), James Shields ("Lost Man Loop" for string quartet), Nancy Ives (movements from "Suite" for solo cello), John Peel ("Cielo for violin and viola"), Julia Kinzler ("Swirls" for alto sax, viola and piano) and Ryan Francis ("Music for Four Hands").
It takes place 7:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, at The Old Church, 1422 S.W. 11th Ave. Tickets: $10-$25, www.fearnomusic.org.
Coming to venues this week (tickets still available at press time):
• Reminder: The 20th annual Portland Old-Time Music Gathering takes place at Portland venues, including the Tiffany Center, 1410 S.W. Morrison St., through Sunday, Jan. 20. It features traditional Appalachian-style string band music. For complete info: www.bubbaguitar.com/gathering.
• John Gorka, who Rolling Stone called "the preeminent male singer-songwriter of the New Folk Movement," performs at Alberta Rose Theatre, 3000 N.E. Alberta St., 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19. Tickets: $24, $28 at door, www.albertarosetheatre.com. His material is championed by many, including Mary Chapin Carpenter, Mary Black and Maura O'Connell.
• At the Aladdin Theater, 3017 S.E. Milwaukie Ave., it's another night of 1980s music with tribute bands Shoot to Thrill (AC/DC) and Jukebox Heroes (Foreigner), 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19. Tickets: $20-$26, aladdin-theater.com.
n Super Diamond — The Neil Diamond Tribute plays the Crystal Ballroom, 1332 W. Burnside St., 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19. Tickets: $20, $25 day of show, www.crystalballroompdx.com.
• The Pickathon music festival will put on its lineup announce party, 7 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 20, at Revolution Hall, 1300 S.E. Stark St. There'll be some music performances. It's free to attend. For more: www.pickathon.org.
Buy your tickets soon ...
• The Portland Cello Project performs the music of Radiohead on its new CD "Homage to Radiohead," and celebrates with a CD release show Jan. 25 at Revolution Hall. For more: revolutionhall.com.
n Rapper Travis Scott returns to Portland for the second time on his "Astroworld: Wish You Were Here" tour, Jan. 27 at the Moda Center. For more: www.rosequarter.com.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.