St. Johns Bizarre ushers in street fairs
Two celebrations of North Portland life will take place Saturday, May 11.
The 13th annual St. Johns Bizarre, a community festival in the heart of the historic neighborhood, runs from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. And, the 57th annual St. Johns Parade will begin at noon with the theme "Hometown Heroes."
Both events are free.
The bizarre features a wide range of arts and entertainment, from an expanded craft fair with 140 vendors to live music on two stages. Scheduled performers include Aaron Nigel Smith in support of his newly released album "In Our America," which entered the Billboard Reggae Album chart at No. 1, Sallie Ford and the Sound Outside, and Jenny Don't and the Spurs.
Kid-friendly attractions include KCPuppetree, circus activities from the ever-popular Circus Cascadia, an Ascending Adventures rock climbing wall and an Artist & Craftsman Supply kid's craft booth.
Organizers say there also will be two beer gardens with no single-use plastic.
The parade will feature historic cars, floats, marching bands and much more. The route goes from Roosevelt High School to downtown St. Johns.
The bizarre is organized by multiple sponsors. The parade is sponsored by the St. Johns Parade Committee.
For more: stjohnsbizarre.com.
For the other 2019 street fairs, here are dates and websites:
• Kenton Street Fair, May 19, North Denver/Watts and Willis, facebook.com/kentonstreetfair.
• Mississippi Street Fair, July 13, North Mississippi/Failing, mississippiave.com
• Division Clinton Street Fair and Parade, July 27, Southeast 25th-28th/Clinton, divisionclinton.com
• Montavilla Street Fair, July 28, Southeast Stark/76th-82nd, metba.org
• Fremont Fest, Aug. 3, Northeast Fremont/42nd-50th, beaumontvillagepdx.com
• Alberta Street Fair, Aug. 10, Northeast Alberta/11th-30th, albertamainst.org
• Lents Founders Fair, Aug. 11, Southeast 87th/Steele, lentsneighborhoodassociation.com
• Multnomah Days Street Fair, Aug. 17, Southwest Capitol Highway/Garden Home-31st, multnomahvillage.org
• Hawthorne Street Fair, Aug. 25, Southeast Hawthorne, hawthornepdx.com
• Belmont Street Fair, Sept. 14, Southeast 33rd-39th, belmontdistrict.org
The Portland Sunday Parkways are another good way to get out and meet people and enjoy neighborhood activities, each taking place from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. on selected Sundays.
The 2019 schedule:
• May 19 — Southeast
• June 30 — North
• July 21 — Outer Northeast
• Aug. 25 — Green Loop (Downtown/Central Eastside)
• Sept. 22 — Northeast
For complete info: portlandoregon.gov.
And, the Multnomah County Fair takes place May 25-27 at Oaks Amusement Park. For more: multcofair.org.