The Tribune will highlight some gallery openings and other arts happenings in the first edition of each month:
• Reminder: Mickalene Thomas' video installation "Do I Look Like a Lady?," shows at Portland Art Museum, 1219 S.W. Park Ave., through Aug. 31. For more: portlandartmuseum.org. ... Celebrating commonalities of cultures on both sides of the Pacific Ocean, Portland Japanese Garden, 611 S.W. Kingston Ave., shows "Forest of Dreams: Ainu and Native American Woodcarving," through July 21. For more: www.japanesegarden.org.
• Photography works by Nancy Floyd ("Weathering Time") and Barbara Peacock ("American Bedroom") are showing at Blue Sky Gallery, 122 N.W. Eighth Ave., through July 28. "Weathering Time" focuses on the female body, passage of time and loss. "American Bedroom" is a cultural and anthropological study of Americans in their most private and intimate space. For more: www.blueskygallery.org.
• At PDX Contemporary Art, 925 N.W. Flanders St., "It's Summer!" is a group exhibition by 28 artists, through Aug. 31. For more: www.pdxcontemporaryart.com.
• Elizabeth Leach Gallery, 417 N.W. Ninth Ave., presents "Memo," new work by Pat Boas, and "Hybrid," by Nicola Lopez, from July 17-Aug. 31. Boas' abstract paintings and prints combine elements of theoretical discourse and studio experimentation, and references a series of paintings by Stuart Davis (1894-1964). Lopez explores visual entanglements of the natural and constructed environment through works on paper. For more: www.elizabethleach.com.
• Nearly 200 artists are taking part in the 18th Gresham Arts Festival, July 20, in downtown Gresham. There'll also be live music and children's activities. For more: www.greshamoregon.gov/Gresham-Arts-Festival.
• Reminder: Portland Art Museum, 1219 S.W. Park Ave., offers free admission on First Thursday, 5-8 p.m., www.portlandartmuseum.org.
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)