Hawthorne Street Fair
There'll be vendors, a beer garden, live music, kids activities and more at the free annual event on Southeast Hawthorne Boulevard between 30th Avenue and Cesar Chavez Boulevard, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 25. For more: www.hawthornepdx.com.
Portland Sunday Parkways
The event for walkers, runners, cyclists and skaters takes place on the streets of downtown and the Central Eastside, inspired by the "Green Loop," 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 25. It includes the North Park Blocks, Portland Art Museum and Rose Quarter and areas featured in the Central City 2035 Plan that aims to connect districts. For complete info: www.portlandoregon.gov.
• The Hood to Coast Relay participants are all ready to go. It's a great event to support as a spectator as it comes through Portland on the 199-mile journey, Friday-Saturday, Aug. 23-24. There's also the 129-mile Portland to Coast Walk Relay. For complete info: www.hoodtocoast.com.
• Community members take to the streets for the Walk to End Alzheimer's, starting at Moda Center, on Saturday, Aug. 24, to show support for the fight to end the disease. Info: www.act.alz.org.
• Celebrate 175 years of Oregon City history from 10 a.m.-9:15 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24, at the End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, 1726 Washington St., Oregon City. For more: www.traveloregoncity.com/175-2.
• It's Dahlia Festival indoors and outdoors at Swan Island Dahlias in Canby, Aug. 24-Sept. 2. Info: www.dahlias.com.
• The Andisheh Center, a nonprofit organization with a mission to celebrate and promote Iranian culture, heritages and arts, will present the Portland Persian Party, 6-8:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24, at Pioneer Courthouse Square. The free event showcases many aspects of Iranian culture, including music and dance, food and beverages, and traditional clothing. For more: www.andisheh.org.
'The Poet's Shadow'
PHAME Academy, the Portland arts school for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities, presents "The Poet's Shadow," Aug. 23-31 at Hampton Opera Center, 211 S.E. Caruthers St. The rock opera follows a character (Elizabeth, played by Tess Raunig) who breaks off a relationship with a lover (Beautiful Love, played by Aaron Hobson) and then turns to poetry to channel feelings. Poems then take on a life of their own. For more: www.phamepdx.org. For a Tribune story on PHAME, see www.portlandtribune.com.
Who could forget Jon Heder's role in "Napoleon Dynamite," 15 years ago? Aladdin Theater hosts a conversation with the actor, as he reflects on the character and how it endeared itself to so many.
7:30 p.m. Friday, Aug. 23, Aladdin Theater, 3017 S.E. Milwaukie Ave., www.aladdin-theater.com, $25-$95
The comedian, actor ("The Goldbergs") and writer comes to Portland on his "Merriment Marauder Tour." He currently has a one-hour comedy special on Comedy Central.
8 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24, Revolution Hall, 1300 S.E. Stark St., www.revolutionhall.com, $25-$30
Quality local journalism takes time and money, which comes, in part, from paying readers. If you enjoy articles like this one, please consider supporting us.
(It costs just a few cents a day.)