Last week, Oct. 25
"Black and Blue"; "Countdown"; "The Current War: Director's Cut"
This week, Nov. 1
"Terminator: Dark Fate" (Paramount Pictures), R, 128 minutes
About — Sarah Connor and a hybrid cyborg human must protect a young girl from a newly modified liquid Terminator from the future; Stars — Mackenzie Davis, Linda Hamilton, Edward Furlong, Arnold Schwarzenegger; Director — Tim Miller
"The Irishman" (Netflix), R, 209 minutes
About — A mob hitman recalls his possible involvement with the slaying of Jimmy Hoffa; Stars — Jesse Piemons, Robert De Niro, Anna Paquin, Al Pacino; Director — Martin Scorsese
"Harriet" (Focus Features), PG-13, 125 minutes
About — It's the extraordinary tale of Harriet Tubman's escape from slavery and transformation into one of America's greatest heroes, whose courage, ingenuity and tenacity freed hundreds of slaves and changed the course of slavery; Stars — Cynthia Erivo, Leslie Odom Jr., Joe Alwyn, Clarke Peters; Director — Kasi Lemmons
"Motherless Brooklyn" (WB), R, 144 minutes
About — Set against the backdrop of 1950s New York, it follows Lionel Essrog, a lonely private detective afflicted with Tourette's syndrome, as he ventures to solve the murder of his mentor and only friend, Frank Minna; Stars — Dallas Roberts, Bruce Willis, Edward Norton, Fisher Stevens; Director — Edward Norton
"Arctic Dogs" (Entertainment Studios), PG, 93 minutes
About — Swifty the Arctic Fox works in the mailroom of the Arctic Blast Delivery Service, but he has much bigger dreams; Stars — Anjelica Huston, Jeremy Renner, James Franco, Alec Baldwin; Director — Aaron Woodley
Next week, Nov. 8
"Doctor Sleep"; "Last Christmas"; "Midway"; "Honey Boy"; "Playing With Fire"
Note: Movie descriptions by IMDB, www.imdb.com
The latest top 10 digital movie purchases/rentals based on transaction rate, by Comscore:
1. "Spider-Man: Far From Home"
2. "Toy Story 4"
4. "John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum"
5. "Dark Phoenix"
6. "Hocus Pocus"
7. "Men in Black: International"
9. "Avengers: Endgame"
10. "Pokemon Detective Pikachu"
Other recent favorites: "Anna"; "Annabelle Comes Home"; "Crawl"; "Shaft"
Opening in theaters this week (check listings), it's a documentary on the political career of Imelda Marcos, the former first lady of the Philippines, whose influence on her husband Ferdinand's presidency rocketed her to the global political stage. (She also had a huge fascination with shoes).
• Reminder: The Greatest Generation podcast, which focuses on "Star Trek" topics, returns with another review, this time of "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock," 8 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 4, at Alberta Rose Theatre, 3000 N.E. Alberta St. Tickets: $25, $29 at door, www.albertarosetheatre.com.
• The Portland Circuit is a series of Oregon-made films shown at the Northwest Film Center, Hollywood Theatre, Clinton Street Theater and Cinema 21, in collaboration with the OregonMade Creative Foundation. It resumes screenings Nov. 18-21 with Tara Johnson-Medinger's coming-of-age film "My Summer as a Goth." It's the fourth film in the series, following "Sex Weather," "Phoenix, Oregon" and "Canopy Stories." For more: OregonMade.org. For more on the film: www.mysummerasagoth.com.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.