Last week, Nov. 15
"Charlie's Angels"; "Ford v Ferrari"; "The Good Liar"; "Waves"
This week, Nov. 22
"Frozen II" (Disney), PG, 103 minutes
About — Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Olaf and Sven leave Arendelle to travel to an ancient forest in an enchanted land to find the origin of Elsa's powers so they can save their kingdom; Stars — Kristen Bell, Jonathan Groff, Evan Rachel Wood, Jason Ritter; Director — Chris Buck/Jennifer Lee
"A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" (TriStar), PG, 108 minutes
About — Based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers, aka Mr. Rogers, and journalist Tom Junod; Stars — Tom Hanks, Christine Lahti, Matthew Rhys, Susan Kelechi Watson; Director — Marielle Heller
"21 Bridges" (STX Entertainment), R, 99 minutes
About — An embattled NYPD detective is thrust into a citywide manhunt for a pair of cop killers after uncovering a massive and unexpected conspiracy; Stars — Chadwick Boseman, J.K. Simmons, Sienna Miller, Taylor Kitsch; Director — Brian Kirk
"Dark Waters" (Focus Features), PG-13, 126 minutes
About — A corporate defense attorney takes on an environmental lawsuit against a chemical company that exposes a lengthy history of pollution; Stars — Anne Hathaway, William Jackson Harper, Tim Robbins, Mark Ruffalo; Director — Todd Haynes
Next week, Nov. 29
"Knives Out"; "Queen & Slim"
Note: Movie descriptions by IMDB, www.imdb.com
The latest top 10 digital movie purchases/rentals based on transaction rate, by Comscore:
1. "The Lion King"
2. "Toy Story 4"
3. "Spider-Man: Far From Home"
4. "Hocus Pocus" (1993)
5. "Scary Stories To Tell In the Dark"
6. "The Nightmare Before Christmas"
10. "3 From Hell"
Other recent favorites: "Zombieland" (2009); "Annabelle Comes Home"; "John Wick: Chapter 3 — Parabellum"
The documentary by Oregon State University filmmakers, about the decline of coral reef ecosystems around the world and the impact on people, is now streaming and accessible on digital platforms, including Amazon, Google Play and iTunes. The film follows microbiologist Rebecca Vega Thurber and other OSU researchers. It's narrated by Peter Coyote, who voiced Ken Burns' "The Vietnam War." For more: www.corals.oregonstate.edu/saving-atlantis.
• Reminder: The Portland Circuit is a series of Oregon-made films shown in Portland, and continues with Tara Johnson-Medinger's coming-of-age film "My Summer as a Goth."at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19 at Clinton Street Theater, 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 20 at Cinema 21 and 7 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 21 at Whitsell Auditorium. For more on the film: www.mysummerasagoth.com.
• Hollywood Theatre, 4122 N.E. Sandy Blvd., and curator Greg Hamilton present six short films by filmmaker Les Blank, 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 20: "Running Around Like A Chicken With Its Head Cut Off"; "Dizzy"; "God Respects Us When We Work, But Loves Us When We Dance"; "The Sun's Gonna Shine"; "Chicken Real"; "Cigarette Blues." For more: www.hollywoodtheatre.org.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.