The Portland Youth Philharmonic hosts its 58th annual "Concert-at-Christmas: Dance Party," playing French composer Georges Bizet's "Carmen" selections, Aaron Copeland's Cuban-inspired "Danzon Cubano," John Williams' Yoda's theme from "The Empire Strikes Back," Johannes Brahms' "Hungarian Dance No. 5" and Camille Saint-Saens' "Danse Bacchanale" from "Samson and Delilah."
It takes place at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 26, at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, 1037 S.W. Broadway. Tickets: $5-$60, www.portlandyouthphil.org.
PYP musical director David Hattner conducts.
Coming to venues this week (tickets still available at press time):
• The Reverb Brothers and Bare Bones Cafe will put on their seventh annual Boxing Day Benefit for Rose Haven, a day shelter and community center for women and children experiencing poverty, homelessness and abuse. Donation are accepted for the event, 8 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 26, at Bare Bones Cafe, 2900 S.E. Belmont St. For more: www.rosehaven.org.
• The Garcia Birthday Band, along with Talking Heads' tribute band Life During Wartime, play at Wonder Ballroom, 128 N.E. Russell St., 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 27. Tickets: $18, www.wonderballroom.com.
• Catch some excellent tribute acts at the Crystal Ballroom, 1332 W. Burnside St., when Stone in Love (Journey) and Barracuda (Heart) take the stage at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 28. Tickets: $15, $20 day of show, www.crystalballroompdx.com.
• Mississippi Studios, 3939 N. Mississippi Ave., has good shows before 2020 arrives, including: Orquestra Pacifico Revival, which mixes cumbia, hip and hop and more, 9 p.m. Friday, Dec. 27 ($12, $15 day of show); Portland rock/soul band Dirty Revival, 9 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31 ($25). For more: www.mississippistudios.com.
• Jerry Joseph and the Jackmormons, featuring Oregon Music Hall of Fame member Joseph, plays some local shows coming up: 9 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 28, Dante's, 350 W. Burnside St.; 9 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 29, and Tuesday, Dec. 31, Star Theater, 13 N.W. Sixth Ave. For more on Joseph, see www.jerryjoseph.com/tour. For tickets, see show pages at www.ticketweb.com.
• Portland-based roots rockers Fruition, who recently released "Wild As the Night," returns home for a 9 p.m. New Year's Eve, Tuesday, Dec. 31, show at Revolution Hall, 1300 S.E. Stark St. The band plays Dec. 27 in Eugene to kick off the tour, followed by Seattle (Dec. 28), Bend (Dec. 29) and Portland. Tickets: $35, www.revolutionhall.com.
• DJ Anjali and The Incredible Kid put on their 19th annual New Year's Eve dance party, 9 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31, at Polaris Hall, 635 N. Killingsworth Court. Tickets: $29.50, $40 at door, www.anjaliandthekid.com. They're famous for their Bollywood and bhangra shows.
• Friends of Chamber Music presents Florestan Trio, playing The Old Church, 1422 S.W. 11th Ave., at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31. Tickets: $35, www.focm.org.
• All over the country, fans flock to see Straight No Chaser. They'll be in Portland for an 8 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31, show at the Keller Auditorium, 222 S.W. Clay St. Tickets: $37.50-$69.50, www.portland5.com. It's a male a cappella group that sings with a sense of humor.
• The Caleb Klauder's NYE Rhinestone Bash takes place at the Spare Room Lounge, 4830 N.E. 42nd Ave., 8 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 31. It features the Portland singer and his band's country-swing music. Tickets: $18, calebklauder.com.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.