Live Music: Pink Floyd tribute band Pigs on the Wing is set to play a sold-out show in Portland
Coming to venues this week (tickets still available at press time):
• The Mother Hips and The Coffis Brothers play Alberta Rose Theatre, 3000 N.E. Alberta St., 8 p.m. Friday, Jan. 24. Tickets: $25, www.albertarosetheatre.com.
• Toby Keith, Miranda Lambert and Alan Jackson have covered alt-country singer-songwriter Fred Eaglesmith's songs — Jackson even named his tour "Freight Train" after one of them. Eaglesmith will play at The Old Church, 1422 S.W. 11th Ave., 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 25. Tickets: $25, $30 day of show, www.theoldchurch.org. Eaglesmith and his wife, multi-instrumentalist Tif Ginn, who also will be in Portland, recently made their Grand Ole Opry debut together.
• The Lil Smokies take the stage at Aladdin Theater, 3017 S.E. Milwaukie Ave., 8 p.m. Saturday Jan. 25. Tickets: $20, www.aladdin-theater.com.
• Floater plays an acoustic show with Gabby Holt at 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 25, at the Star Theater, 13 N.W. Sixth Ave. Tickets: $5-$150, www.startheaterportland.com.
• The "Days of Bowie" series continues with "The Ballroom Blitz: A Total Glam Bam for Bowie," played by the Afraid of Americans all-star band led by Ben Landsverk and fronted by guest vocalists, 9 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 25 at Polaris Hall, 635 N. Killingsworth Court. Tickets: $20, $25 at door, polarishall.com. For more: www.daysofbowiepdx.com.
• The School of Rock Portland continues its series at the Doug Fir Lounge, 830 E. Burnside St., with "Best of the 2000s," at noon Saturday, Jan. 25, followed by Radiohead songs at 2 p.m., and then David Bowie music at noon Sunday, Jan. 26, and "History of Funk" at 2 p.m. Tickets: $12 each show, www.dougfirlounge.com.
• The Oregon Symphony, led by guest conductor Eun Sun Kim, welcomes pianist Benjamin Grosvenor for Chopin's "Piano Concerto No. 2" and more at Willamette University's Smith Auditorium in Salem, as well as at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 25; 2 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 26; and 7:30 p.m. Monday, Jan. 27, at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall, 1037 S.W. Broadway. Tickets: starting at $24, www.orsymphony.org.
• Irish singer-songwriter Dermot Kennedy, on his "Without Fear" tour, performs at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 28, at the Moda Center. Tickets: starting at $29, parking $13, www.rosequarter.com.
• Howard Jones, the 1980s pop star, and his Acoustic Trio play at Revolution Hall, 1300 S.E. Stark St., 8 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 29. Tickets: $39.50, www.revolutionhall.com.
A lot of shows sell out. We'll occasionally try to alert you to certain events that don't have tickets for sale anymore, which would allow you to ask friends — bother? — to take you. Or, evaluate the secondary market.
Pigs on the Wing, the Pink Floyd tribute outfit, plays Revolution Hall on Saturday, Jan. 25 on its "Animals Tour," but it's sold out.
Buy your tickets soon ...
• Bon Jovi and Bryan Adams stop in Portland at the Moda Center on June 11. Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Friday, Jan. 24, at www.rosequarter.com.
• Steely Dan and Steve Winwood, on their "Earth After Hours" tour, will play June 2 at the Moda Center. Tickets go on sale at 10 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 25, at www.rosequarter.com.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.