Ducks advance to second round of NCAA tourney; No. 23 Owls finish 24-8

The Oregon Ducks women's basketball team used some fourth-quarter and final-moments heroics to knock favored Temple out of the NCAA Women's Tournament.

Ruthy Hebard scored the winning basket with about five seconds later, and then blocked Temple's final shot, as Oregon won the first-round game 71-70 at Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, North Carolina.HEBARD

On Monday, Oregon will play No. 2 seed and host Duke at 3:30 p.m. PT (ESPN2).

Oregon improved to 21-13, after finishing sixth in the Pac-12 regular season and reaching the conference tournament semifinals with an upset of No. 11 Washington.

Temple, ranked 23rd in the USA Today coaches poll, finished its season at 24-8.

For Oregon, freshmen led the way — Hebard had 23 points and seven rebounds; Sabrina Ionescu 16 points, seven rebounds and seven assists; and Mallory McGwire had 13 points and 10 rebounds.

The Ducks shot 44.8 percent from the field and were 4 of 16 on 3-pointers.

Tempe hit at a 40.8-percent clip fro the floor, also making 4 of 16 from 3-point range.

Temple, a No. 7 seed, led 20-18 after one quarter but trailed the 10th-ranked Ducks 35-34 at the half. The Owls were back on top 58-52 after three quarters.

Lexi Bando's only 3-pointer for Oregon tied the score at 62-62 with about five minutes remaining.

Temple scored the next basket, but Ionescu's inside shot put the Ducks in front 65-64 with three minutes left.

An outside shot by the Owls gave them a 66-65 edge with two minutes remaining.

After two free throws by Tempe, the Ducks got a basket in the key from Ionescu to cut the deficit to 68-67 with one minute to play.

Temple missed a 3 and a putback, which was blocked by McGwire, and Oregon called a timeout with 33.2 seconds left.

At the 24-second mark, Ionescu hit a 14-footer off the dribble and off a screen for the lead, 69-68.

Temple called time, then hit a 17-footer.

Oregon used a timeout with 14.3 seconds to go, and then Hebard scored inside with 5.5 seconds remaining.

Temple charged uncontested up the court for a layup attempt, but Hebard got a piece of it, and then time ran out.