Portland's winning streak scissored at 10, as Lethbridge prevails in seven-round shootout

The Portland Winterhawks' winning streak ended at 10 in a shootout Tuesday night at Lethbridge, Alberta.

The Hurricanes won 4-3, after seven rounds of one-on-one that followed regulation and overtime.

The Hawks fell to 4-1 on their trip through the Western Hockey League Central Division. It was their first defeat in the last six visits to Lethbridge, which hadn't beaten Portland at home since Nov. 3, 2007.

Lethbridge stretched its win streak to four and climbed to 11-12-1-0.

The Winterhawks got a point and continue to lead the Western Conference with a record of 19-4-0-1.

In regulation, the Hawks out-shot the Hurricanes, 43-34, but Lethbridge erased a 3-1 deficit with a pair of 5-on-3 goals in the third period.

The Winterhawks, who got their three regulation goals on power plays, had a 4-on-3 to start the five-minute extra period, but couldn't notch the winner.

Portland out-shot Lethbridge 16-3 in the first period, but neither team scored.

Ilijah Colina scored for Portland on a power play at 1:12 of the second period, off assists from Alex Overhardt and Keoni Texeira.

Henri Jokiharju struck wth the man advantage at 8:18 — assists to Colina and Texeira — for a 2-0 advantage.

Lethbridge got one back at 10:56.

Cody Glass, named Canadian Hockey League player of the week earlier in the day, made it a two-goal game again for Portland, scoring unassisted on a power play at 5:17 of the third period. He has scored in 11 consecutive games.

Glass' goal came shortly after things got testy and included a brief altercation between players, and the Hurricanes scored on a 5-on-3 at 7:30.

Things got worse for the Winterhawks. Goalie Cole Kehler wound up in the penalty box for two minutes for roughing after Lethridge's second goal, and the hosts scored 5-on-3 again at 8:02.

With 53 seconds left, the Hurricanes were whistled for too many men on the ice, but the Hawks weren't able to capitalize.

Portland got the only three shots of the overtime and came close to scoring in the final minute-plus.

In the shootout, Jordy Bellerive (two goals in regulation) gave the Hurricanes the lead, scoring on the first shot. Portland's Joachim Blichfeld scored to pull his team even.

Kehler stopped the next Lethridge shooter, but Glass got stuffed, as well.

Ryan Bowen of the Hurricanes failed to get off a shot, setting up a chance for Jokiharju to settle things. But goaltender Stuart Skinner was in perfect position to make the save.

Kehler made another stop on Lethbridge's fourth attempt.

That brought up Kieffer Bellows for the Hawks, but he missed the net.

Lethbridge's No. 5 shooter also missed, but then Skyler McKenzie of Portland couldn't get his try past Skinner.

After another failed attempt by Lethbridge, Alex Overhardt got rejected.

That brought up Round 7. Lethbridge's Zane Franklin got his shot to find the net. It was up to Colina, whose shot was gloved by Skinner, to the delight of the crowd of 3,139.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine