Pilots clip Ducks, 2-1
PORTLAND 2, Oregon 1
• The Pilots' solid season in the diamond continued with their second victory this year over the Ducks.
Oregon managed just four hits in the loss at Joe Etel Field.
Tate Budnick, a 2017 Portland Pickles summer-league player, gave up two of the hits but had no walks and no runs allowed in five innings, with five strikeouts. He hasn't given up a run in his last 14 2/3 innings.
Reliever Christian Peters (1-1) got the win after keeping the Ducks off the board for 1 1/3 innings.
Portland improved to 16-24, while UO, which lost 9-7 in 11 innings at home to UP on April 9, fell to 19-19.
Freshman catcher Hunter Montgomery put UP in front 1-0 with a two-out home run in the bottom of the second inning.
Oregon tied the score in the third on back-to-back doubles by Ryne Nelson and Taylor Travess.
Portland went ahead for good in the third. Beau Brundage hit a two-out single, stole second base and scored when another ex-Pickle, Daniel Lopez, doubled down the left field line.
Brundage, Lopez and Matt Kelly all had two hits for Portland, which totaled nine.
Zack Noll (0-1), one of five Oregon pitchers, took the loss.
COLLEGE MEN'S GOLF
• Oregon State finished 10th and Oregon 11th in the Pac-12 Championships at Rolling Hills (Calif.) Estates.
Neither team was able to budge from its lowly spot throughout the three-day tournament, won by USC with a 31-under-par 1,389 total. Colorado was second, four shots back. Arizona State was third at 23-under.
OSU wound up at 11-over, four strokes better than the Ducks.
Oregon standout Norman Xiong climbed four spots in the final round but just missed a top-10 finish. He shot 1-under 70 for a 5-under total of 279, 11 behind the champion, Justin Suh of USC.
Oregon State's Kyosuke Hara fired a closing 68 to tie for 13th at 280.
COLLEGE WOMEN'S GOLF
• Oregon and Oregon State have made it to the NCAA regionals as at-large selections. The tournaments are May 7-9, with six teams in each of four regionals.
Oregon will play as a 14th seed in the San Francisco regional at TPC Harding Park.
OSU will be a No. 14 at University Ridge Golf Course in Madison, Wisconsin.
COLLEGE MEN'S SOCCER
• The University of Portland, aiming to recapture its 2016 (West Coast Conference championship) glory, will open the 2018 season with eight games at home out of 12 total scheduled for Merlo Field.
UP's slate includes games against seven teams that have been to the NCAA Division I postseason the past three years, including a visit to perennial power Coatsal Carolina.
The home and season opener is Friday Aug. 24, against Sacramento State. Two days later, the Pilots will take on visiting Syracuse.
The Nike Invitational at Merlo will have Portland meeting UC Santa Barbara on Aug. 31 and Cal Poly on Sept. 3.
Washington will come to town on Aug. 14 to play the Pilots for the first time in three years.
The WCC season for UP begins at Gonzaga on Oct. 6. The regular season will conclue on Nov. 10 at home against Saint Mary's.
COLLEGE WOMEN'S SOCCER
• New Portland Pilots coach Michelle Franch will debut with her team at Merlo Field on Friday, Aug. 17, against Northern Arizona.
The Pilots have 10 other games slated for Merlo in 2018. The list includes an Aug. 26 clash with Washington, and the Sept. 7-9 Nike Invitational, in which Portland will play Utah Valley and Uc Irvine.
Porltand will play host to Oregon on Sept. 14, then visit Oregon State two days later.
The WCC season for the Pilots begins with away games against San Diego on Sept. 27 and BYU on Sept. 29.
The conference home opener is Oct. 5 versus Saint Mary's, and the regular season will end at Gonzaga on Nov. 3.
• Portland State has signed Jadyn Harris, a 5-3 forward from Wildomar, California, and Elsinore High. She'll join the Vikings in 2018.
• Portland State has signed three players for next season: 5-10 setter Mary Jo McBride, of Paradise Valley, Arizona; 5-10 outside hitter Peyton McBride, of Temecula, California; and Mackenzie Sullivan, a 5-10 defensive specialist from Placentia, California.
COLLEGE MEN'S TENNIS
• University of Portland senior Michail Pervolarakis has been named West Coast Conference player of the year for the second consecutive season.
The native of Limassol, Cyprus is 24-5 in singles and ranked No. 56 in the nation.
UP senior Mathieu Garcia made second-team all-WCC.
The doubles teams of Pervolarakis and freshman Tom Hann, and Garcia and Pierre Garcia, were honorable mention.
Seattle 4, CHICAGO WHITE SOX 3
• Felix Hernandez (2-3) got the win as Seattle finished its three-game series against the White Sox with two victories.
Hernandez gave up seven hits and three runs, with six strikeouts, in six innings.
Mike Zunino hit a go-ahead home run for the M's (13-10), who will open a four-game series at Cleveland at 3 p.m. PT Thursday.
Chicago fell to 5-16.