Concordia athletes chase top places at GNAC Combined Events
COLLEGE TRACK AND FIELD
• Concordia's Giovanni Brown is third in the decathlon halfway through the 10-eventer at the Great Northwest Athletic Association Combined Events in Nampa, Idaho.
He totaled 3,477 points to trail Kodiak Landis (3,806) and Miachel Forster (3,544), both of Central Washington.
Chelsea Bone of Concordia is fourth after the first day of the GNAC heptathlon, also at Nampa, Idaho. She has 2,804 points. The leader, HarLee Ortega of Central Washington, has 2,957.
Concordia teammates Chase Stephens and Tori Johnson are sixth and 12th, respectively.
• Concordia's Melissa Ausman was named GNAC Female Field Athlete of the Week for the third time this season.
She won the discus and finished second in the shot put at the OSU High Performance Meet in Corvallis.
She ranks second in the nation for NCAA Division II in the discus and eighth in the shot put, along with sixth in the hammer throw.
COLLEGE MEN'S BASKETBALL
• Coach Terry Porter of the University of Portland has signed 6-10, 210-pound Theo Akwuba to a letter-of-intent.
Akwuba is from Montgomery, Alabama, and last season averaged a triple-double, with more than 11 blocks per game, for Brewbaker Techology Magnet High.
With a 7-4 wingspan, he also had 11.7 points and 14.1 rebounds per game and was first-team 5A all-state.
• Westview High product Kenyon Yovan, a University of Oregon sophomore, has been named Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week for his 15-strikeout victory against USC on Saturday.
Yovan, moved from a closer role to starter this year as a sophomore, had no walks in the 9-2 win. He allowed the runs on five hits in eight innings.
Yovan also was named Pac-12 Pitcher of the Week for the second time this season.
He is 4-2 with a 2.54 ERA and five saves in 2018. He's given up 40 hits and 24 walks with 75 strikeouts in 56 2/3 innings.
• Oregon State junior outfielder Steven Kwan has been voted Pac-12 Player of the Week. He was 12 of 18 over four games, as the Beavers defeated Portland and took two of three against Arizona State.
He led off the Pilots game with his first home run of his career.
Kwan is batting .340 this season.
• Oregon's DJ Sanders and Megan Kleist have been selected as the Pac-12 Player of the Week and Pitcher of the Week.
Sanders had a grand slam and two-run home run in a three-game sweep at Washington as the No. 2-ranked Ducks moved into a tie for first place with No. 1 UCLA.
Kleist tossed a 14-strikeout complete game in the series opener.
COLLEGE WOMEN'S GOLF
• Concordia has been named Great Northwest Athletic Conference team of the week.
The Cavaliers rallied from 10 strokes down on the final day to win the GNAC championship at Coeur d'Alene Resort.
• Everett and Swift Current will play for the Western Hockey League championship after both teams closed out their conference finals in six games on Monday.
Everett won the West in stunning fashion, rallying from three goals down with 10 minutes left for a 6-5 win in overtime at Tri-City.
The Ed Chynoweth Cup finals start Friday and Saturday at Swift Current.
This is the second trip to the league finals for the Silvertips, who won the conference title as an expansion team in 2003-04 and were swept by Medicine Hat.