No. 1 Ducks win, 4-0
OREGON 4, Albany 0
• Behind 14 strikeouts from sophomore right-hander Miranda Elish, the top-seeded Ducks cruised past the Great Danes in the opener of the NCAA Eugene regional at Jane Sanders Stadium.
Elish held Albany to four hits and never let a runner advance past second base. She improved to 21-1 and lowered her ERA to 0.96.
Elish received a 1-0 lead in the third inning. Junior outfielder Alexis Mack singled, stole second base and scored on a single by senior infielder DJ Sanders.
Senior infielder Jenna Lilley scored on a wild pitch with two out in the fifth to make the score 2-0.
Freshman utility and Marist High graduate Lauren Burke delivered a pinch-hit home run in the fifth to help seal the win.
The Ducks moved to 48-7, while Albany dipped to 32-15.
Drake 3, BYU 2
• The Bulldogs erased a 2-1 deficit with runs in the fourth and fifth innings to earn a winners' bracket matchup with the Ducks on Friday.
BYU scored runs in the third and fourth to chase Drake starter Kailee Smith. Smith threw 84 pitches and allowed six hits in 4 2/3 innings.
Drake then inserted ace Nicole Newman, who held the Cougars hitless the rest of the way and struck out six to earn the win.
BYU starter Kerisa Viramontes also gave up two runs in 4 2/3 innings. Drake notched the go-ahead run off Autumn Moffat, who finished and took the loss.
UO faces No. 2 Drake at 3 p.m. Friday.
Drake is expected to start Newman in the circle. UO counters with junior right-hander Megan Kleist (20-5, 0.96).
Albany takes on third-seeded BYU at 5:30 p.m. in an elimination game. The winner faces the loser of the UO-Drake game at 8 p.m. in another elimination game.
• Texas Tech and Oregon State have booked football games against each other for 2025 and 2026.
The Sept. 13, 2025 game will be at Lubbok, Texas. Reser Stadium will be the site on Sept. 12, 2026.
The teams have met once. The Red Raiders won 15-14 at Lubbock in 1959.
COLLEGE WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL
• The University of Portland has promoted Tiffany Gibson from director of operations to assistant coach.
Gibson had been in her previous role since 2015. She came to UP after serving as an assistant coach at San Joaquin Delta College for three years.
Gibson joins coach Cheryl Sorenson and assistant coaches Steve Lowe and Brianna Chambers.
• Oregon's incoming recruiting class is ranked No. 4 in the country by prepvolleyball.com.
The ranking matches the second-highest for the UO program. The Ducks' 2015 recruiting class was ranked No. 4, and its 2016 class was the highest-rated in program history at No. 2.
Four of the five recruits are top-100 talents, according to prepvolleyball.com.
Setter Kylie Robinson is rated eighth overall — the highest-rated recruit in program history.
Middle blocker Karson Bacon is three spots behind Robinson. Outside hitter Brooke Nuneviller is ranked No. 27, and middle blocker Chandlar Duff is No. 92.
Libero Camryn Tastad rounds out the class.
UO is coming off an 18-12 season and second-round appearance in the NCAA tournament.