Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



SATURDAY WHL RECAP/Seth Jarvis scores shootout winner as Portland wins at Seattle

Seth Jarvis scored a shootout goal and Shane Farkas stopped every shot he faced on Saturday as the Portland Winterhawks overcame an early three-goal deficit to beat the Seattle Thunderbirds 4-3 at Kent, Washington.

Farkas came on after Seattle's third goal less than 10 minutes into the game and

stopped 22 shots plus all three Thunderbirds shootout tries.

Portland's second win in five shootouts this (80 points). With eight games left in the Western Hockey League regular season, second-place Portland trails Everett by eight points in the U.S. Division.

Seattle, in the last wild-card spot, is 24-28-5-2 (55).

Defenseman Jared Freadrich scored on a wrister through traffic from the blue line to tie the game 3-3 with 16:13 left.

Seattle scored three times in the first 10 minutes, and Portland was shorthanded four times in the first period.

Matthew Wedman struck off a pass from behind the net by Henrik Rybinski 2:05 into the game. Wedman and Rybinski then set up Owen Williams' goal at 8:04 and Andrej Kukuca converted on a power play at 9:42.

After the third goal, Portland coach Mike Johnston replaced starting goalie Joel Hofer with Farkas.

The Winterhawks closed the gap early in the second with goals from Clay Hanus and Lane Gilliss 27 seconds apart.

Both teams were shorthanded on defense, a situation that got thinner for the Hawks late in the second period when Portland's Nick Cicek was assessed a major penalty and game misconduct for checking Seattle's Jake Lee into the boards.

Lee was able to return for the third period.

Both teams had a couple of good chances to win during the three-on-three overtime period, including breakaways for Cody Glass and Jarvis.

Seattle goalie Roddy Ross played a strong game, stopping 36 shots as Portland cranked up its offense after the first period.

The Winterhawks picked up energy as the game went along. Portland had spent much of Friday night on the bus after losing at Tri-City. Because of road closures, the Hawks needed to travel back through Portland to get to Kent from Kennewick.

Next for the Winterhawks is a 7 p.m. Friday game at Memorial Coliseum against Spokane.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework