Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Defense plays tough in second half to support offense from Wilson, Carson and others

Seattle's defense allowed only three second-half points as the Seahawks kicked off their 2019 NFL season with a 21-20 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals at CenturyLink Field.

Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson passed for two touchdowns, and running back Chris Carson scored twice, once on the ground and once with a reception.

The Seahawks withstood a 418-yard passing day from Andy Dalton, who hit 35 of 51 without an interception.

John Ross III of the Bengals caught seven balls for 158 yards and two TDs.

The Bengals got on the scoreboard first, with Randy Bullock kicking a 39-yard field goal late in the first quarter.

A quiet game delivered four touchdowns of fireworks late in the first half, though.

The Seahawks took a 7-3 lead with a seven-play, 48-yard drive capped by Carson's 1-yard run with 6:36 remaining.

In 1:24, the Bengals were back in front, with Dalton hitting passes, the final one for 33 yards to Ross.

Down 10-7, the Seahawks went 77 yards in six plays and took a 14-10 lead on a Wilson flip outside to Carson. He caught the ball a few yards behind the line of scrimmage, ran hard, got to the pylon and made it a 10-yard touchdown play with 52 seconds left in the second quarter.

But the Dalton-to-Ross combination worked on a 55-yard bomb that got past two Seahawk defenders, and that TD, with seven seconds left, sent the Bengals to the locker room with a 17-14 edge.

Cincinnati's Randy Bullock missed a 45-yard field-goal try to the left early in the third quarter.

But the Bengals still seemed to have some momentum, until Seattle's defensive line made a stop on a fourth-and-1 and then Wilson found wide receiver Tyler Lockett open deep over the middle for a 44-yard touchdown pass and a 21-17 lead on the first play of the fourth quarter.

The Bengals got a first-and-goal at the 4 midway through the quarter, but threw an incompletion, then lost 10 yards for holding. Seattle then sacked Dalton and forced a 27-yard Bullock field goal with seven minutes left.

The Bengals got near midfield on their next possession, but punted with 3:30 to go, giving Seattle the ball at its 6.

Carson broke for 21 yards on third-and-1 to give the Hawks a new set of downs, which brought the teams to the two-minute warning.

Cincinnati got the ball back at its 25, but with only 21 seconds to play. All the Bengals could muster was a 6-yard completion, a lost fumble by Dalton as he tried to make a short pass.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework