Timbers, Thorns announce initiatives
The Portland Timbers and Portland Thorns on Tuesday announced several programs to assist game-day employees of the soccer clubs and others in the community.
• Peregrine Sports, the LLC that owns the Timbers and Thorns and is run by Merritt Paulson, is creating a fund to assist part-time staff by paying them for games that are canceled. Details about the Stand Together Assistance Fund will be explained next week to impacted staff members, including game-day and merchandise employees.
• The organization is donating approximately 1,000 pounds of perishable food to Life UP, a nonprofit that serves low-income residents of downtown and Northwest neighborhoods.
• An unspecified amount of money will be donated to the Oregon Community Fund's Oregon COVID-19 Pooled Fund.
• Timbers and Thorns staff members and their families will write notes of appreciation to both area seniors who receive Meals on Wheels and to healthcare workers.
• Employees will take thank-you packages to workers for Providence health care.
• Timber Joey will host reading sessions for homebound children each Tuesday and Thursday via You Tube, the Stand Together Instagram Live feed and on the Timbers and Thorns' Facebook pages.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.