If there were sports today ...
Ifs and buts.
In this case, with the coronavirus wiping out basically all live sports, we are left mostly with ifs.
IF this were Tuesday, March 24 the way Tuesday, March 24 was SUPPOSED to be, this is what would be happening on the local sports scene …
• Coach Terry Stotts and the Trail Blazers are at the Charlotte Hornets. It's the second stop on a six-game trip that began at Minnesota and will go to Detroit and then Boston, Philadelphia and Brooklyn.
• Eugene Country Club is the site of the final round of the two-day Duck Invitational men's golf tournament. Oregon State and Oregon figure to be strong contenders coming down the stretch.
• You can go to the University of Portland and watch the Oregon women take on the Portland Pilots in tennis.
• The Portland State's women's golf team is enjoying some time in the sun and good competition; the Vikings were scheduled to be on Maui, playing the Kapalua Bay Course. This is day two of three in that tournament.
• High schools are on spring break, but there are baseball and softball games across the state and out of state.
Franklin High's softball team gets started at 9 a.m. against Pendleton, then returns to face La Salle Prep at 1 p.m. at Hood View Park in Happy Valley. Cleveland is there, too, taking on Milwaukie and Centennial at 1 p.m. and 3 p.m.
• Lewis & Clark at George Fox baseball. Weather permitting.
Meeting your friends at a college ball game ... having a hot dog together ... watching a few innings? Sounds pretty good right about now.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.