If there were sports today ...
The Seattle Mariners were supposed to open their season on Thursday. Sniff, sniff, sad emoji face.
It would have been the Texas Rangers at Safeco Field with a 1:10 p.m. first pitch.
Left-hander Marco Gonzales was Seattle's likely starter.
It would have been the start of a four-game series.
There might be no crying in baseball, but it's okay to cry over no baseball.
• The Trail Blazers would be on the road, with a day off in Boston before a Friday game against the Celtics.
• The University of Oregon's perennial national powerhouse in acrobatics and tumbling would be in Honolulu to compete against Hawaii Pacific.
• The Oregon men's golf team would be teeing off in the first round of The Goodwin at Stanford.
• Oregon State's women's track and field team would be at a meet hosted by UC Riverside.
• The Portland State Vikings would be playing men's and women's tennis at UC San Diego.
• The University of Portland would have two events: a baseball game against Pacific at Ron Tonkin Field and beach volleyball at San Jose State.
• Concordia, which is closing for good after this academic year, would still be competing, with its successful track and field teams at the Willamette Multis and its softball team at Cal State East Bay.
Lewis & Clark would be at the same meet.
• Grant High's baseball team would be playing in Arizona.
Portland Christian would play baseball against Amity in a tournament at Ridgefield, Washington.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.