FONT & AUDIO
Happy birthday, Sen. McCain, numbers tell your story
John Sidney McCain III, American politician, naval officer, statesman and presidential candidate, died Aug. 25, four days short of his 82nd birthday.
The Arizona senator was born Aug. 29, 1936, in Coco Solo, Panama. McCain graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1958 and followed his father and grandfather — both four-star admirals — into the U.S. Navy. He became a naval aviator and flew ground-attack aircraft from Navy carriers. While flying during the Vietnam War, on his 23rd bombing mission over Hanoi, McCain's aircraft was shot down Oct. 26, 1967.
McCain was seriously injured and captured by North Vietnamese. He was a prisoner of war for more than five years, tortured and beaten until his release on March 14, 1973.
He was elected to the U.S. House of Representatives in 1982, and was elected to the U.S. Senate in 1987. He ran for president in 2000, and was the GOP nominee in 2008. He lost to Sen. Barack Obama.
The news of McCain's death was saddening for me. He was a true American hero and no words can describe the sacrifice he made and the pain he endured in serving his country. McCain was a decent, humble gentleman with utmost integrity and principles.
If McCain was still alive, Aug. 29, 2018, would have marked his 82nd birthday. To express my appreciation and respect for this great honorable man, I constructed the following numerical curiosities for him on his birthday:
1. If numbers 1 to 26 are assigned to the letters of John and McCain in alphabetical order, the sums of the numbers assigned to the letters of John and McCain respectively equal 47 and 43. Interestingly, 47 and 43 are the 15th and 14th prime numbers and 15 and 14 add up to 29, the day number of McCain's birthday. Further, twice the difference of 47 and 43 results in McCain's month of birth.
2. The sum of the reverses of 47 and 43, namely 74 and 34, equals 108 and twice the square of 108 equals the product of the digits of 8/29/1936, McCain's birthday.
3. McCain's full name, John Sidney McCain, consists of 16 letters and 16 equals 4 square. McCain was born in square-number year 1936 (44 x 44) and died on square-number day 25 (5 x 5) at square-age 81 (9 x 9). Additionally, the month of both of his birth and death was twice square-number 4.
4. McCain died 4 days before his 82nd birthday. The sum of 4 and 82 equals twice 43 (McCain). Additionally, the sum of the prime factors of 82, namely 2 and 41, equals 43 too.
5. The reverse of 81, the age McCain died, namely 18, matches the rightmost two digits of 2018. Moreover, 18 is half of the rightmost two digits of his birth year, 1936. Also, 108 (see item No. 2) is one-third of 18 square.
6. The product of the digits of 29, the day number of McCain's birthday, equals 18 too and the product of the digits of 18 yields 8, the month number of McCain's birth.
7. McCain was born on August 29 and died on August 25. Note that 29 is the 10th prime number and 10 equals 5 + 5 and interestingly, 5 x 5 yields 25.
8. The sum of the numbers assigned to the letters of McCain's full name, John Sidney McCain, equals 166 and 166 equals 2 x 83. Note that prime factors 2 and 83 differ by 81, the age McCain died.
9. Moreover, the reverse of 166, namely 661, is the 121st prime number and 121 is also a square number (11 x 11). Additionally, twice 121 yields 242 and coincidentally, McCain was born on the 242nd day of 1936 (8/29/1936).
10. The sum of the digits of McCain's birthday expressed as 8/29/1936 equals 38 and the reverse of 38, namely 83, times 2 yields 166 (John Sidney McCain). Further, if 8/29/1936 is split as 829 and 1936, the sum of the digits of 829 and 1936 each equals 19 and 19 is the 8th prime number and 8 is the month number of McCain's birthday.
11. McCain died this year on 8/25 and the sum of the prime factors of 825, namely 3, 5, and 11, equals 19 too.
12. Additionally, McCain died 361 days after his 81st birthday and 361 equals 19 square.
13. If 2018 is split as 20 and 18, the sum of these two numbers equals 38 (see item # 10). Also, twice 38 equals 76, the sum of the numbers assigned to the letters of McCain's middle name, Sidney. Also, the reverse of 76, namely 67, is the 19th prime number and double 19 yields back 38.
14. McCain turned palindrome-age 55 in palindrome-year 1991 and 66 in 2002. His birthday number in palindrome-year 2112 will be twice 88 and 88 equals 44 + 44 and interestingly, 44 x 44 equals 1936, McCain's birth year.
15. McCain's 83rd birthday to occur next year in 2019 will be special since twice 83 yields 166 (John Sidney McCain). Furthermore, the reverse of 2019, namely 9102, equals 2 x 3 x 37 x 41 and these four prime factors add up to 83.
16. McCain's 85th birthday in 2021 will also be special since 2021 equals the product of 47 and 43 (see item # 1). Moreover, the prime factors of 166 (John Sidney McCain), namely 2 and 83, add up to 85.
17. McCain's 90th birthday in 2026 will be special too since 90 equals the sum of 47 and 43.
18. McCain's 92nd birthday expressed as 8/29/28 will be a palindrome day. Also, if McCain's birthday 8/29/1936 is split as 8, 29, 19, and 36, the sum of these four numbers yields 92. Additionally, the reverse of 92, namely 29, equals the sum of 14 and 15 (see item No. 1).
19. McCain's 93rd birthday in 2029 will also be special since twice 2029 equals the sum of the squares of 47 and 43 (see item No. 1).
20. If 8/25/2018, the day McCain died, is split as 825 and 2018, these two numbers differ by 1193 and 1193 is the 196th prime number and 196 is 14 square and the 14th prime number is 43 (McCain).
21. If 8/25/2018 is split as 825 and 2018, the sum of these two numbers equals 2843 and 2843 is the 413th prime number. Interestingly, the reverse of 413 is 314 representing March 14 (3/14), the day McCain was released in 1973.
22. McCain was captured by the North Vietnamese in 1967 and coincidentally, he was in captivity for a total of 1967 days until his release on March 14, 1973.
23. The day when McCain was released in 1973 expressed as 3/14/73 was special because March 14 was the 73rd day of 1973.
24. Lastly, 2018 equals 2 x 1009 and 2 and 1009 are the 1st and 169th prime numbers. The sum of the square roots of 1 and 169 results in 14 and as noted in item # 1, 14th prime number is 43 (McCain).
Happy 82nd birthday, John McCain. I hope you rest in peace.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.