Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Larry Hurwitz was arrested on drug and illegal money charges while on parole for the 1990 murder of Tim Moreau, whose body has never been found.

PMG FIE PHOTO - An undated mug shot of Larry Hurwitz.

Convicted Portland murderer Larry Hurwitz remains jailed in California after a bail hearing on Thursday, July 25. No bail was set.

Hurwitz was arrested on drug and illegal money charges in California on June 27. During last week's brief hearing, Hurwitz huddled with his lawyer in an Orange County Superior Courtroom before being returned to jail.

A pre-trial hearing is now scheduled for Aug. 8 and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for Sept. 9 the Orange County court.

Hurwitz was arrested during a traffic stop in Huntington Beach, California. The Portland Tribune has learned he was caught with four pounds of cocaine and over $300,000 in cash, although the police report has not yet been released. He was charged with the sale or transport of a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance with intent to sell, and possession of drug money in excess of $100,000.

Hurwitz has retained a lawyer and pleaded not guilty to the charges.

A male passenger who has not been identified was not arrested.

Hurwitz, the former owner of the Starry Night rock club in Old Town, was convicted of killing his promotion director, Tim Moreau, in 1990. Hurwitz was sentenced to only 12 years in prison as the result of a plea bargain agreement, in part because Moreau's body was never found.

Hurwitz is still on supervised parole in Multnomah County as part of his sentence for killing Moreau. He did not have permission to leave the state at the time of his arrest. The Multnomah County District Attorney's Office said it was aware of the arrest and offered to assist with the prosecution. The county has issued a warrant for Hurwitz's arrest and extradition when his California case is completed.

The Moreau murder case was heavily covered by the Portland news media. Moreau was last seen alive on Jan. 22, 1990, several days after a counterfeit ticket scheme had been discovered at the hall. Police suspected Hurwitz was behind the scheme and killed Moreau to prevent him from revealing what he knew about it. Hurwitz denied knowing where Moreau was, and there was no evidence connecting him to the disappearance.

It took 10 years before another Starry Night employee admitted to helping Hurwitz kill Moreau and bury the body in the Columbia River Gorge. By then, Hurwitz was serving a sentence for federal income tax evasion. He eventually pleaded no contest to the murder and was sentenced to 12 years in prison in 2000.

Tim's parents, Mike and Penny Moreau, filed a civil lawsuit against Hurwitz for the murder. He settled it in 2001 by promising to pay them $3 million, but has only been making small quarterly payments.

Moreau is still considered a missing person because his body was never found. As part of National Missing Persons Month, Oregon State Police added three pictures to its Facebook page for Moreau in May 2018.

"We are very grateful that officials in Portland continue to remember Tim and to remind the public that our son's remains have not been found. We appreciate everyone 's interest and support," Mike and Penny Moreau, said at the time.

You can read a previous Portland Tribune story and find a series on the murder case at

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework