TriMet: All MAX lines disrupted next two weeks
All MAX lines will be disrupted over the next two weeks because of a light rail improvement project in the Lloyd neighborhood that began Sunday morning.
TriMet warned that all schedules will be changed and fewer trains will be running through Saturday, Aug. 17. Agency officials urged MAX riders expect delays or find other means of transportations, including TriMet buses and Portland Streetcars.
During the project, crews will upgrade switches and special track work in the Rose Quarter area, as well as replace wearing curved rail with new, longer lasting rail. Crews will also take out a little-used switch and the associated track work on Northeast Holladay Street between 9th and 11th avenues, and put in straight rail.
"The improvements will increase the reliability of the MAX system to keep trains running on time and make for a smoother rider," TriMet said of the goal of the project.
TriMet offered the following five tips to help riders during the construction:
1. Know before you go Go to trimet.org/alerts/lloyd/index.htm to get details on how MAX service will be adjusted on all MAX lines will be on during the two-week project.
2. Plan ahead and plan extra time Go to trimet.org/#/planner/form/ to view schedules for MAX lines between Aug. 4 and Aug. 17, and plan an extra 30 to 45 minutes for trips during that time.
3. Go by bus! (or streetcar, bike, scooter) Alter trips to avoid the main commuting hours, if possible. If not, consider using TriMet's regular bus service or the Portland Streetcar. Carpool, bike, walk or try a scooter. Work from home if possible or use other transportation.
4. Choose a train or shuttle bus for PDX trips Trips will be faster between Portland International Airport and the west side using the special PDX shuttle bus serving the Kenton/N Denver Ave Station. Trips to and from the airport and points east of the Rose Quarter area are quicker using MAX. Explore the options at trimet.org/alerts/lloyd/index.htm.
5. Please be patient The improvements being done during the two-week disruption are extensive and cannot be done in the few hours MAX trains don't run each day. The work will make the system more reliable, keep trains moving and make for a smoother ride.
During the Lloyd MAX Improvements project, companies are offering the following promotions:
Biketown New user promo code: TRIMET19 $7.50 credit for the Pay As You Go plan (covers the 1-time set up fee and 30 minutes of ride time). Current member promo code: MAX19 $2.50 credit on any current plan type (30 minutes ride time).
Lime Promo code: LIME2MAX 10 free unlocks.
Spin Promo code: SPINMAX $5 ride credit.
Bolt Promo code: gobyBolt $5 ride credit.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.