Riot: Portland police arrest 13 following Friday unrest
Portland Police Bureau officers announced 13 arrests in connection with downtown riots on the evening of Friday, May 29.
Those arrests happened before 5 a.m. on Saturday, May 30. Police say more arrests have been made, but details are not yet available.
A press release from the bureau notes that looters targeted banks, marijuana dispensaries, liquor stores, electronic stores and department stores during the tumultuous night. When officers responded to looting at Pioneer Place Mall at Southwest Fourth Avenue and Yamhill Street, rioters began "to smash out the windows of the police vehicles with electric scooters."
Officers were able to drive away without harm, they said. Other police cars were tagged with spray paint.
A number of fires also were set during the riot, including blazes involving a dumpster, trash cans, vehicles and a large pile of pallets in the intersection of Southwest Fourth Avenue and Alder Street, per the release.
Two officers were injured during the five-hour riot, which has led to a state of emergency declaration by Mayor Ted Wheeler — and a curfew effective for Saturday and into Sunday.
Police say one officer was struck by a "thrown incendiary device," while a criminalist was struck in the head by a rock.
Here's who police say they arrested:
• William L. Isham, 32, cited for interfering with a peace officer and second-degree disorderly conduct.
• Noah Wendrow, 20, on charges of riot.
• Alexis Parra-Castillo, 25, on charges of riot.
• Latrae Robinson, 28, on charges of riot, first-degree theft, second-degree burglary.
• David McDougald, 30, on warrants for DUII, reckless driving and reckless endangerment.
• Jason Arbaza, age not listed, on charges of riot, first-degree theft and interfering with police.
• Dayla Hester, 19, on charges of second-degree burglary, first-degree theft and riot.
• Jamal Hampton, 23, on charges of second-degree burglary, first-degree theft and riot.
• Travis Hessel, 27, on charges of second-degree burglary, first-degree theft and riot.
• Jason Mitchell, 40, on charges of second-degree burglary, first-degree theft and riot.
• Michelle Strong, 30, on charges of first-degree burglary, first-degree theft and second-degree trespass.
• Willie Anderson Brown, 29, on charges of riot, second-degree burglary, first-degree theft, possession of a controlled substance (methamphetamine), second-degree trespass, second-degree disorderly conduct and on a warrant.
• Joshua Feala, age not listed, on charges of riot, second-degree Burglary, first-degree theft, second-degree disorderly conduct and interfering with police.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.