Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Peaceful protests early Friday devolved into looting and fires from North Portland to downtown.

GOOGLE MAP SCREEN CAPTURE - Peaceful protests at Peninsula Park and downtown's Terry Schrunk plaza on Friday turned into looting and fires during the night, police say. According to Portland Police, this is how Friday and Saturday early morning played out.

• 11 a.m.: Terry Schrunk Plaza, peaceful vigil regarding the death of George Floyd.

• 3:29 p.m.: Central Precinct Officers responded to Southwest Third Avenue and Main Street regarding a subject in a car "surrounded by protesters." Officers observed about 30 protesters standing around the sides and front of a vehicle. The officers determined the safest course of action was to close the street for the safety of the motorist and the protesters. Officers created a safe route for the driver to back his vehicle out of the crowd, but the driver refused. Officers gave the driver several admonishments to back his vehicle out of the crowd, but the subject again refused. The driver was arrested and issued a criminal citation.

• 6 p.m.: Peninsula Park, a peaceful vigil with approximately 1,000 community members in attendance. Following the vigil, several hundred marched to North Precinct and then went south on Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard toward downtown Portland. During the march, some protesters vandalized businesses with graffiti and one bank sustained broken windows.

• 9:50 p.m.: Near the intersection of Northeast Seventh Avenue and Morris Street, a large group of protesters gathered. One of the protesters shot at the occupants of a vehicle within the group, injuring the passenger. The vehicle left and a man later arrived at a nearby hospital with a non-life threatening injury from the shooting. He was treated and released.

• Approximately 11 p.m.: The march reached the Justice Center downtown. Several hundred protesters gathered on Northwest Third Avenue between Main Street and Madison streets. Protesters spray-painted the building, broke windows, broke into the building and started a fire inside the first floor of the Justice Center. Portland Police officers responded to the area to disperse the crowd and Portland Fire & Rescue units arrived to extinguish the fire.

An unlawful assembly was declared and protesters were told to leave the area or force would be used against them. Protesters continued to vandalize inside and outside the Justice Center.

What police refer to as "riot control agents" were deployed and the protesters dispersed from the Justice Center but remained downtown. "Riot control agents" can include pepper spray and so-called "flash bangs."

After leaving the Justice Center, some protesters headed north to Pioneer Place Mall. Protesters broke storefront windows and broke into the mall. Once inside, they looted stores and vandalized property.

Officers responded to the corner of Southwest Fifth Avenue and Yamhill Street. As they arrived, protesters started to smash out the windows of the police cars with electric scooters. Officers were able to safely drive away without harm beyond the damage to the vehicle.

Along with looting, protesters started multiple fires in the city including: the contents of a large dumpster, trash cans, vehicles and a large pile of pallets in the intersection of Southwest Fourth Avenue and Alder Street.

Police officers provided Portland Fire and Rescue a safe route in to extinguish the fires.

Some of the targeted businesses included banks, marijuana dispensaries, liquor stores, electronic stores and department stores.

Violent criminal behavior, including arson, riot and looting occurred over about a five-hour period.

A state of emergency was declared by Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler and a curfew was imposed.

During the riot, a Portland Police officer was struck by a thrown incendiary device and was injured. A police department criminalist also was struck in the head with a rock and sustained an injury.

• 5 a.m.: Portland Police arrested 13 people. See related story. Others were arrested after 5 a.m. but information was not yet available.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework