Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Following canceled 82nd Avenue of Roses parade, groups with differing political ideologies march down Southeast Portland street, resulting in three arrests.

TRIBUNE PHOTO: LYNDSEY HEWITT - Right and left wing activists march down 82nd Avenue on Saturday. The 11th annual 82nd Avenue of Roses parade might have been canceled, but it didn't stop around 100 people from marching down the street in Southeast Portland anyway.

Riot police walked and rode alongside marchers in what started out separately on different sides of the street — those rallying and those protesting — but then intermingled.

PORTLAND POLICE BUREAU - A book photo of 44-year-old Luis Marquez provided by the Portland police.PORTLAND POLICE BUREAU - 23-year-old Shayne Sellers was arrested at Montavilla Park for criminal mischief II and theft. PORTLAND POLICE BUREAU  - 19-year-old Zoe McClain was arrested for assaulting a police officer. It remained peaceful for the bulk of the march, which started at Montavilla Park, although some engaged in heated debates, and there were three arrests.

Luis Marquez, 44, was arrested for disorderly conduct in the second degree, and harassment. Dressed in in a pumpkin suit, Marquez was arrested toward the beginning of the march and was found holding a collapsible baton.

Two more people were arrested at the end of the march, including 23-year-old Shayne Sellers for criminal mischief and two counts of theft, and 19-year-old Zoe McClain, for two counts of assaulting an officer, according to police.

The march followed a 9 a.m. picnic and celebration at Montavilla Park in lieu of the canceled parade, at which separate groups showed up to rally or protest, including a right-wing group called Patriot Prayer, counter protesters and some who were there to try to keep the peace.

The march was made up mostly of supporters of President Donald Trump, who say they were marching in support of free speech.

A group that others identified as Antifa, an antifascist group, showed up on the other side of the street, several wearing clown masks or bandanas, and the two groups yelled back and forth to one another, including Antifa yelling "black lives matter" while some Trump supporters bellowed back, "all lives matter."

Patriot Prayer organized the march after the 82nd Avenue Business Association, the parade's sponsor, canceled the event.

The business association made the decision when the Multnomah County Republican Party, which was set to march in the parade, received an anonymous email, and a Facebook event page was created by Direct Action Alliance threatening to disrupt the parade because of "Nazis and fascists" participating. The business association said they couldn't guarantee participants' safety.

Mayor Ted Wheeler showed up at the Saturday picnic briefly to shake hands with police officers and offer his support. TRIBUNE PHOTO: LYNDSEY HEWITT - One man was asked to leave when he gave a Nazi salute.

The groups marched from Montavilla Park down Southeast 82nd Avenue, ending at Burger King, where folks engaged in more political discussions. One man was asked to leave when he started yelling that Christians and Jews should die, and giving a Nazi salute. Afterward, Portland Police Bureau and TriMet organized to have marchers and protesters picked up in buses to transport them back to the Montavilla Park, a little more than two miles away.

Kathryn Townsend, from Gig Harbor, Washington, holding a Trump flag and wearing Trump + Pence shirt, said she attended the march to support free speech and to stand up against those who initially threatened the parade.

"I shouldn't be afraid," she said.

Patrick Garrison, an American Civil Liberties Union volunteer, observed the event to keep an eye on police activity and any other disruptions.

He said outside of the initial arrest and a few confiscations by police, that things were "much quieter than expected."

"I was worried that this would just turn into a giant brawl in the park," he said.TRIBUNE PHOTO: LYNDSEY HEWITT - The march ended at Burger King along 82nd Avenue.

TRIBUNE PHOTO: LYNDSEY HEWITT - Riot police rode alongside the marchers. TRIBUNE PHOTO: LYNDSEY HEWITT - People from opposing sides marched on the same side of the street.

TRIBUNE PHOTO: LYNDSEY HEWITT - TriMet partnered with Portland Police Bureau to provide a bus to protesters and marchers to get back to Montavilla Park.

Read a previous story about the cancellation at:

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine