FONT & AUDIO
TriMet: MAX trains, Portland Streetcar disrupted for needed repair work
Work has started on a downtown TriMet repair project that will disrupt MAX trains throughout the region until May 20. It will also impact the Portland Streetcar and increase traffic congestion in the west side of town.
"With fewer trains running, we expect them to be extremely crowded during the morning and afternoon commutes. We are asking riders to alter their trips to avoid main commuting hours, use TriMet's regular bus service, carpool, work from home if possible, bike, walk or use other options during the project," TriMet said Sunday morning.
The project will replace aging rail lines and switches along Southwest 11 Avenue between Yamill and Morrison streets. The city Bureau of Enviornmental Service will also replace sewer lines in the area during the project, closing adjacent streets.
TriMet has announced the following distruptions"
MAX service adjustments
MAX Blue, Green and Red lines will be disrupted. All MAX lines will run on reduced frequency and special schedules. Trains will be extremely crowded during commuting hours and riders may not be able to board the first train that comes. Riders should plan at least an extra 30 to 45 minutes for their trips.
• Only MAX Blue Line will be running between Hillsboro and Providence Park.
• MAX Blue and Red lines will be detoured to run on 5th and 6th avenues in downtown Portland.
• MAX Green Line will only run between Rose Quarter and Clackamas Town Center.
• Trains will be running less often on all lines.
• All riders traveling through downtown will need to use shuttle buses, either between 5th/6th avenues and Providence Park or between Rose Quarter and Providence Park.
Portland Streetcar service adjustments
All Portland Streetcar service disrupted on 10th & 11th avenues through Saturday, May 13.
• A shortened NS Line (NS Short) from SW Lowell & Bond to SW 10th & Clay and from SW Park & Market to SW Lowell & Bond.
• A Special Route (S-Line) will operate from NW 23rd & Marshall, over the Broadway Bridge along the A-Loop route, over the Tilikum Crossing to SW 10th & Clay. Streetcars will then travel from SW Park & Market along the B-Loop route, over the Tilikum Crossing and Broadway Bridge connecting on NW Northrup to NW 23rd & Marshall.
• Shuttle buses will serve regular streetcar stations along 10th & 11th Avenues with the exceptions of SW 11th & Alder and SW 11th & Taylor which will be replaced by temporary stops along the shuttle bus route.
• Streetcars will be on special schedules but will operate at the same frequency as regularly scheduled. Shuttle buses will operate at a 7-10 minute frequency on 10th & 11th Avenues.
More information on the project is available at tinyurl.com/mxjdsgt.
The work is happening at the same time that other major transportation repair projects are disrupting traffic in the area. You can read a previous Portland Tribune story about them at tinyurl.com/mfefsje.