An 89-year-old building that once housed nurses' quarters for the Portland Sanitarium in Southeast Portland has been named to the National Register of Historic Places.
The nurses' quarters building, 6012 S.E. Yamhill St., was named to the national register July 3. The State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation nominated the building in February.
The L-shaped building served student nurses and full-time nurses of the Portland Sanitarium, a hospital operated by the Seventh Day Adventists.
According to a nomination report, the building had two components, a three-story structure built in 1928 and a four-story structure built in 1946. It is considered an example of the changing position of nursing as an educational field and profession. Features of the nurses' quarters were similar to changes in nursing education and professional nursing, creating less of a room-and-board arrangement and more of a round-the-clock studying and on-call hospital work setting.
It was considered historically significant for its association with local health and medicine. The city of Portland designed the building a historic landmark in September 2016. Today, it is home to students in the Institute for International Christian Communication's Worldview Center.
The Portland Sanitarium Nurses' Quarters is among the 596 properties in Portland listed on the national register.