FONT

MORE STORIES


No one is injured in early Sunday blaze in Northeast Portland Portland Fire & rescue says could have been prevented.

COURTESY KOIN 6 NEWS - Portland Fire & Rescue vehicles.Extension cords for electric heaters caused a fire that heavily damaged a house in Northeast Portland overnight.

The residents were not home when the fire broke out no firefighters were injured.

Portland Fire & Rescue responded to the fire in the 1100 block of Northeast Roselawn Street at 12:05 a.m. Sunday, Feb. 25. When crews first arrived, they reported seeing white smoke from the home. After entering the home to conduct search and rescue, crews located the fire in the hallway by the back bedroom of the home.

According to PF&R, it was later discovered that the fire had spread to the attic, and was actively burning throughout the space. When crews cut holes in the roof to ventilate, heavy smoke and fire showed from the attic space. The fire was a challenge for firefighters to contain, due to the excessive amount of items that were in the home and stored in the attic space.

Investigators have determined that the fire was caused by the use of many extension cords that were powering various space heaters throughout the home. The extension cords were overloaded, and heated up enough to ignite combustible items that were on top of the cords located in the hallway.

PF&R wants to remind citizens to only use extension cords for temporary use, such as for power tools, irons, toasters and so forth. It is preferred to use power strips that have built-in breakers, which can stop power surges, and fires from occurring. It is also important to remember that space heaters should always have a distance of three feet from any combustible materials.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine