FONT

MORE STORIES


Red Cross workers are also kept busy helping those displaced by residential fires as 2018 comes to an end.

CITY OF PORTLAND - Portland Fire & Rescue logoPortland firefighters and the American Red Cross were kept busy as 2018 came to a close, responding to several Portland home fires in the closing days of the year.

On Sunday morning, Portland Fire & Rescue responded to a single-family fire at 1736 N.E. 52nd Avenue. It displaced affected four adults, three children and several pets. One firefighter suffered from heat exhaustion and was transported to to be checked as a precaution.

Two occupants were injured by the fire. One adult male suffered from smoke inhalation and minor facial burns attempting to rescue additional occupants. A juvenile male also suffered smoke inhalation during his escape from the second floor, because his only escape route was through the room where the fire started.

Investigators determined the fire was started by combustibles that ignited because they were too close to the stovetop that was in use. Damages are estimated to be in excess of $150,000.00.

Disaster Team members with the American Red Cross Cascades Region responded a short time later and provided resources to help address the immediate basic needs of those affected, such as temporary housing, food, clothing, comfort kits with toiletry items, information about recovery services, and health and mental health services.

Shortly before that, at 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 30, Red Cross members responded to a multi-family unit fire that displaced one adult in the 9300 block of Southest Division Street.

Two days earlier, firefighters responded to two fires in Northeast Portland at nearly the same time.

The first crews were dispatched at 1:08 p.m. Friday to the Union Motel, located at 59 NE Gertz Rd. A fire started in the office of the motel and initial reports indicated someone may still be inside. Firefighters arrived to heavy smoke pouring from the office and went inside to perform a search. Everyone had been evacutated and the fire was quickly extinguished.

While crews were still on the scene, an apartment fire was reported at 10608 NE Wygant. When firefighters arrived, they saw smoke rising from the back of the building. A search was completed to confirm all occupants made it out safely and the fire was extinguished.

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine