Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Students return to class after Saturday prom following Friday incident in which no one was hurt

KOIN 6 NEWS - Students exchange hugs with families and friends after a gun scare at Parkrose High School on May 17.

The 18-year-old Parkrose High School student accused of bringing a loaded shotgun into school on Friday pleaded not guilty to felony charges.

Angel Granados Diaz was charged with possessing a gun in a public building, attempting to discharge a firearm at a school, reckless endangerment and possession of a loaded firearm in a public place.

Heading back to school

After attending prom on Saturday, Parkrose students were back in school on Monday. Counseling will be available throughout the week to help staff and students cope with Friday's incident. There will also be enhanced security to make everyone feel safer.

How it unfolded

Around 11:48 a.m. Friday, multiple 911 calls were made about an armed gunman at the school. Nearly the entire Portland Police Bureau East Precinct responded to the school at 12003 N.E. Shaver Street.

Police said Diaz had a loaded shotgun when he walked into the building and into a classroom. Keanon Lowe, the head football coach, tackled him and prevented him from using the gun.

School resource officers also rushed to the hallway where Lowe detained the teen.

Investigators are still trying to determine if a shot was fired, however, no one was hurt.

Concerning behavior

Students told KOIN 6 News Dias had been showing "concerning behavior" leading up to the incident. Two students reported it to school staff.

Student Diamond Morris told KOIN 6 News she talked to the suspect in gym class and he told her he had tried to commit suicide a few times and was drinking and smoking to stop his pain.

"....after he told me all that I was worried and when the bell rang I told the teacher," Diamond said

Students had vivid memories of what happened in the time leading up to and during the incident.

"I'm just sitting in class. Our security guard comes in he was looking for the suspect," said senior Alexa Pope. "[A] second person comes in with a trench coat and has a big gun in his hand."

Pope said she could hardly believe it was a real gun but ran when her boyfriend told her to run.

"It was truly terrifying," she said. "None of us knew if we were going to come out alive."

KOIN News 6 is a news partner of the Portland Tribune. You can find their story

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework