Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Convicted Portland murderer is facing 15 years in prison in California after being arrested on drug and illegal money charges while on post-release supervision on June 27

MULTNOMAH COUNTY SHERIFFS OFFICE - A mug shot of Larry Hurwit from his murder arrest.The plea bargain hearing for convicted Portland murderer Larry Hurwitz in California was delayed until Dec. 4 on Thursday.

Hurwitz is facing up to 15 years in prison after being arrested on drug and illegal money changes while on post-release supervision in Multnomah County on June 27.

Under California law, Hurwitz was scheduled to be offered a plea bargain deal on Oct. 17 in Orange County Superior Court. But the hearing was delayed for procedural reasons.

Mike and Penny Moreau, the parents of the man Hurwitz killed in 1990, attended the Thursday hearing in the company of their Portland attorney. They plan on returning for the Dec. 4 hearing.

Hurwitz was arrested in Huntington Beach after being caught with 4.4 pounds of cocaine and $328,000 in cash. He initially was pulled over for talking on a cell phone while driving.

According to the arrest report, the officer thought Hurwitz was acting nervously, and a grocery bag with a large amount of cash was clearly visible in the back seat. The officer also smelled marijuana. A subsequent search of the car turned up the cocaine in one grocery bag and the cash in two others.

Hurwitz originally denied knowing anything about the drugs or money. But in a subsequent interview after being arrested, Hurwitz said the cash belonged to him. He claimed he earned it as a "producer" in Portland in the 1980s and 1990s, and had taken it out of a Merrill Lynch account. The police did not believe Hurwitz, and U.S. Department of Homeland Security seized it as illegal drug profits.

Hurwitz owned the Starry Night rock club in 1990 when he murdered Tim Moreau, his promotion manager, to cover up his own involvement in a counterfeit ticket scheme. Hurwitz pleaded no contest to murder charges in 1999 and then admitted to killing Moreau to settle a civil wrongful death suit brought by his parents, Mike and Penny, in 2001.

Hurwitz also agreed to pay the Moreaus $3 million for the death, but has only paid a small fraction of that since being released in 2008.

The Moreaus said the arrest has reenergized their commitment to hold Hurwitz fully accountable for the murder of their son. Their attorney has registered their judgment in Orange County Superior Court to claim as much of the cash as possible.

"It would be a concrete way to know that we are effective in holding him accountable for the murder of our son," said Mike Moreau, explaining that Hurwitz has only begun making payments of just $225 per quarter toward the settlement.

After being released from prison in Oregon in 2008, Hurwitz was repeatedly caught traveling out of state without permission by Multnomah County parole and probation officials, who are charged with supervising him.

He has been placed on house arrest, required to wear a GPS monitoring device, and made to perform community service, according to post-release supervision records obtained by the Portland Tribune through a public records request.

Although Hurwitz was required to wear a GPS device as recently as last December, he was not wearing one when he was arrested in California.

You can read previous stories about the case at

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework