UPDATE: Police say the original call was about a man with a knife in the street near Southeast 103rd Drive and Southeast Stark Street.

KOIN 6 NEWS - The scene of the Southeast Portland officer-involved shooting.A man was shot and killed by police in Southeast Portland on Sunday, Dec. 8.

The names of the suspect and officers were not immediately releasd.

Detectives have confirmed that the original call, which was dispatched at 1:40 p.m., was a report of suspicious circumstances involving a weapon. The caller said a man had a knife in his hand and was in the street near Southeast 103rd Drive and Southeast Stark Street.

According to police, several officers responded, including one officer with a less-lethal tool that launches foam-tipped projectiles designed to impact a subject from a distance. The officers approached the subject and a short time later, officers reported that shots had been fired.

Detectives have also confirmed that less-lethal and lethal rounds were fired. The officers rendered medical assistance and called for medical response. The subject was determined to be deceased at the scene.

No other community members or officers were injured.

"Portland Police Officers responded to a dynamic situation involving an armed subject," Chief Danielle Outlaw said in a statement. "This is still early in the investigation and we will work within the process to release as much information as we can without compromising any of the investigation."

The subject's identity will be confirmed by the State Medical Examiner's Office and released to the public after next of kin are notified.

The involved Bureau members' names will be released Monday. They will remain on paid administrative leave until the completion of the Bureau's and Multnomah County District Attorney Office's investigation.

One witness who was fundraising in the area told KOIN 6 News he was caught off guard by the sound of gunfire.

"I hear gunshots. I turned to my left and then I see a man fall right over there," said Raphael Israel, who then gestured across the street from where he was standing.

When asked if he heard anything happen before the gunshots, Israel responded, "No. Surprisingly, there was no yelling — no anything."

Israel said within a matter of minutes, more police arrived at the scene.

Stark was closed between Southeast 102nd and 106th avenues. Southeast 103rd Avenue was also closed between Washington and Burnside streets.

He said within a matter of minutes, more police arrived at the scene.

Police said their investigation is in the early stages. Authorities have not said if the shooting was fatal.

KOIN 6 News is a news partner of the Portland Tribune.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.