Plus, climate strikers keep their promise and Hurwitz's plea deal falls through in California case.

PMG FILE PHOTO - A 5G test unit. The Federal Communications Commission has ignored the Portland City Council's request for more study into the health risks of 5G technology.

The council unanimously approved a resolution calling for such research on March 13. The resolution introduced by Commissioner Amanda Fritz said the FCC has not studied such risks, even though studies compiled and released by the European Union found cancer and other risks.

But, according to the Wall Street Journal, the FCC voted unanimously last week to allow the rollout of new 5G wireless networks without making changes to the federal safety limits for cellphone radiation exposure.

The Food and Drug Administration has said the weight of scientific research hadn't linked cellphones tohealth problems, the paper said.

Climate strikers keep promise

Area high schools kept their promise to repeatedly walk out of classes to demand action on climate change Friday, Dec. 6. The protest follows up on the first one, which happened Sept. 20.

That's more than right-wing protesters have done. During the Aug. 17 protest by Patriot Prayer and its supporters, leaders of the Proud Boys promised to return every month. But that didn't happen in September, October or November, and no protest has yet been announced for December.

One reason may be the arrest and prosecution of Patriot Prayer leader Joey Gibson and some of his followers for brawling outside the now-closed Cider Riot! tavern on Aug. 7. The felony riot charges they face are more serious than what most protesters caught breaking the law have faced in the past.

Hurwitz plea deal falls through

Convicted Portland murderer Larry Hurwitz apparently did not accept a plea bargain on his drug and illegal money charges in California on Thursday, Dec. 5.

Hurwitz is facing up to 15 years in prison. He has been in jail there since his arrest on June 27 in Huntington Beach, California.

Under California law, the Orange County Superior Court judge handling the case was expected to offer Hurwitz a plea bargain during the scheduled hearing. Instead of an offer being made in open court, Hurwitz's attorney and the deputy district attorney prosecuting the case met privately in the judge's chambers.

When they emerged, Hurwitz's attorney spoke quietly to Hurwitz, and then told the judge that his client agreed to what had been decided behind closed doors. That ended the hearing, and Hurwitz was returned to jail.

The next hearing is scheduled for Feb. 19.

Hurwitz was convicted of killing Tim Moreau in 1990 when Hurwitz owned the Starry Night rock club. Hurwitz was arrested again after being caught with 4.4 pounds of cocaine and $328,000 in cash during a traffic stop. He initially was pulled over for talking on a cell phone while driving.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!