Portland Police and federal officers were once again patrolling the streets at the same time after a rally on July 25 turned unruly.

JONATHAN HOUSE - Protesters hide behind a shield wall as federal agents fire crowd control munitions down SW Salmon Street.Portland Police Bureau officers and federal agents once again were deployed onto downtown Portland street corners at the same time — making arrests and pushing back protesters — on Saturday, July 25.

Officers declared a riot around 1:20 a.m. early Sunday morning after a crowd of several thousand gathered around the Mark O. Hatfield federal courthouse for the nightly protest.

Federal officers guarding the perimeter clashed with protesters around 11 p.m., shooting peppers balls and streams of pepper spray through the fence into walls of shields and umbrellas carried by rallygoers wearing gas masks.

Those initial dispersal efforts were unsuccessful, and as the feds retrenched, demonstrators set fires and first employed power tools and later ropes to pull down a large section of the fencing, jumping up and down on the iron links like it was a bounce house.

Protesters did not advance closer toward the courthouse, however, and were instead pinned down by a barrage of crowd control munitions for around 30 minutes. Then the local police declared a riot, and federal officers also advanced, pushing the crowd out of the parks and into the surrounding city blocks.

Dispersal efforts continued for hours more. The number of arrests made was not immediately announced. Videos from the scene showed plenty of new graffiti, as well as broken glass at a Starbucks.

The City Council has ordered Portland Police to not share information or coordinate with the out-of-town federal agents deployed here by President Trump on July 4; the two law enforcement groups did not appear to intermingle during the event, though they both began crowd control activities at roughly the same time.

A freelance reporter, Sergio Olmos, posted videos showing a car windshield apparently broken by a tear gas canister, as well as a charge by Portland police into a crowd.

The night began with hundreds of demonstrators gathering in Alberta Park in Northeast Portland before marching in the street along Killingsworth and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard toward the Justice Center and U.S. courthouse.

Zane Sparling
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Follow me on

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.


- DOJ: Feds to remain in Portland until protests stay peaceful

- Night 57: Fire met with tear gas outtside US Courthouse

- Protesters are asked: What will it take?

- Local, regional officials criticize federal protest response

- Night 56: More protests, fireworks and tear gas in Portland

- After nearly two months, Portland protest arrests top 500

- Protester in Portland sues Trump for 'conspiracy to violate the U.S. Constitution' after alleged attack by feds

- US judge restrains federal officers from targeting reporters, legal observers

- Protest medics sue police, fed agencies over attacks

- How Portland's insurgency neutralized police crowd tactics