Portland police make several arrests but do not use tear gas to disperse protesters late Saturday.

COURTESY PPB - Surveillance video shows the Saturday night fire inside the Portland Police Association headquarters.Police declared a riot after people broke into the Portland Police Association headquarters in North Portland and set it on fire during overnight protest there,

Police said no CS gas was used to disperse the crowd, although several arrests were made.

The evening began with peaceful Aug. 8 demonstrations in Northeast and Southeast Portland. They included a a rally at Peninsula Park and a march organized at Laurelhurst Park.

Around 10 p.m., Moms United for Black Lives Matter led demonstrators on a march northwest from Peninsula Park. Hundreds of people walked to the PA headquarters on North Lombard Street. Police stated on Twitter that traffic was blocked from North Interstate Avenue to North Denver Avenue because of the demonstration and warned people not to "engage in criminal activities."

People chanted in the street. Multiple dumpsters were overturned lit on fire and chain link fences were set up on both sides of the street as barricades.

At 11:38 p.m. police announced over their loudspeaker that the demonstration was an unlawful assembly and told people to leave the area. Minutes later, police declared a riot after a group of people broke into the PPA office and started a fire inside.

"Officers moved the crowd so the fire could be extinguished before it could grow out of control," said Portland police via Twitter.

After midnight, protesters were largely dispersed from the area in North Portland after some crowd control munitions were used, what looked like flash bangs and smoke munitions, but not tear gas.

Police made arrests and one woman who was hit with an impact munition on her leg was treated with ice by a law enforcement medic.

Around 1 a.m., a KOIN 6 News reporter saw a large dumpster fire had been set near North Denver and North Schofield, but some other people who did not look to be part of the protests put it out with buckets of water. A witness said she thought they were workers of nearby businesses.

At 1:19 a.m. Portland Police also declared a riot to those in Kenton Park and asked all people, "including members of the press and legal observers," to leave the area.

By 2:00 a.m., the majority of the crowd left the area though PPB said it made several arrests.

KOIN 6 NEWS - Hundreds of people gathered at Waterfront Park Saturday evening to hear activist and worship leader Sean Feucht speak.

Earlier in the evening, hundreds of people gathered at Waterfront Park to hear activist and worship leader Sean Feucht speak. Feucht said in a promotional YouTube video earlier this week the "Riots to Revival" event would "flip the script" on recent unrest. The event remained non-violent despite a few heated disagreements over face coverings, which are required outdoors when people cannot maintain a six-foot distance.

KOIN 6 News is a news partner of the Portland Tribune. Their story with video can be found here.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.