Support Local Journalism!        

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



A crowd gathered at Esther Short Park in downtown Vancouver Sept. 5 for a celebration of life of Aaron 'Jay' Danielson.

PMG PHOTO: ZANE SPARLING - Mourners wore stickers featuring a cartoon drawing of Aaron 'Jay' Danielson during a celebration of life on Saturday, Sept 5 in downtown Vancouver. Friends and compatriots honored the memory of Aaron Joseph Danielson — known by the sound of his middle initial, Jay — during a celebration of life at Esther Short Park in downtown Vancouver.

Danielson, who frequently attended protests to film and as a member of the local conservative group Patriot Prayer, was shot and killed in downtown Portland seven days before, during the tail-end of a Trump 2020 car parade that turned chaotic, and ultimately deadly, as it entered the streets of downtown Portland on Aug. 29.

The memorial service was held on Saturday, Sept. 5 — one day after what would have been Danielson's 40th birthday on Sept. 4.

PMG PHOTO: ZANE SPARLING - Hundreds of people attended a celebration of life memorial sevice for Aaron 'Jay' Danielson on Saturday, Sept. 5 in downtown Vancouver. "I was watching the moment those two shots rang out, those two shots that have been heard around the world," said Michelle Dawson, a Yacolt city councilor, her voice breaking. "I never did imagine that just turning on a live video, that I would watch the murder and execution of our friend."

Prosecutors say Danielson was killed by a left-wing protester, Michael Forest Reinoehl, who himself died in a hail of bullets fired by U.S. Marshals attempting to arrest him in Washington state on Sept. 3.

While the apparent political homicide left the city simmering on the 100th night of consecutive demonstrations, Joey Gibson, the leader of Patriot Prayer, encouraged the crowd in Vancouver to reject fear, saying "Jay was not a victim, and we are not victims."

"I don't want to see one person encouraging acts of violence in the name of Jay, not one," Gibson said.

The mourners affixed to their shirts stickers showing a cartoon version of Jay, bearded and wearing a baseball cap, with the caption: Legends Never Die. Others wore shirts reading "Justice for J" with a bunny ears symbol on a sleeve.

Dawson, who told the crowd she had met Jay while attending Patriot Prayer events and at the prayer circles she has held during lockdown, explained that the two-eared emblem honored an uproarious occasion during her birthday party when Jay unexpectedly arrived, incognito, in a full bunny suit.

"I'm never going to see that white bunny walking through my yard again," she said tearfully.

PMG PHOTO: ZANE SPARLING - A man strapped a long gun to his back while wearing a t-shirt for the Columbia River chapter of the Proud Boys organization during a memorial for Aaron Danielson, known as Jay, on Saturday, Sept. 5. Many members of the crowd openly carried long guns or pistols, and at least one man wore the Hawaiian shirt trademark of the "Boogaloo" movement, which foresees a looming second Civil War. Vancouver Police monitored the peaceful gathering from afar, and no counter-protesters attended. A sizeable crowd was decked out in the black-and-yellow polo shirts worn by the Proud Boys.

Rex Fergus, one of the Proud Boys, said the organization is not racist but has been targeted due to lies spread by the mainstream media.

"The news media has been selling that story to people because that's what people want to hear — people want conflict. Peace doesn't sell," he said.

A man wearing a Patriot Prayer shirt, who gave his first two names as Daniel Patrick, noted that Danielson died wearing a Patriot Prayer hat, and publicly-reported court documents suggest the deceased shooter, Reinoehl, ducked out from behind a downtown parking garage in order to target him.

"Wearing this simple T-shirt was a subject of heated debate within my entire family ... and that's why I'm wearing a gun," Daniel Patrick explained, pointing to his holstered handgun.

PMG PHOTO: ZANE SPARLING - Chandler Pappas was with Aaron Danielson the night he was killed in downtown Portland. Chandler Pappas was with Danielson when he died. He told prosecutors the duo had been drinking earlier in the evening and were out that night "to see what was going on," per court documents.

Approximately five hours earlier, Pappas clutched a paintball gun during an interview with the Portland Tribune, saying he was there to prevent assaults by providing security. Danielson, standing by his side, said little during the interview. After he died, police found a handgun on Danielson's person. It was not fired during the fatal encounter, police say.

Pappas described Danielson as "not a violent man, he was all about peace, he was all about love" at the memorial: "What a hard guy to lose."

Zane Sparling
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Follow me on Twitter

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!


- Hardesty: ‘Social movements complex, messy’

- Protest shooting suspect killed

- Oregon Gov. Brown: Stop all protest violence

- Governor, wide array of leaders call for peace in Portland

- Danielson shooting suspect claims 'self defense' in TV report

- Oregon state police federally deputized for protest duty

- Friends of man slain during protest urge end to violence

- City girds for ‘retribution’ after shooting of protester on Saturday

- Wheeler decries protest killing, blames Trump

- Man killed at Portland protest linked to Trump cruise-in

Go to top