Support Local Journalism!        

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Generators brought partial power two days after storm, full power returned Feb. 17

PMG PHOTO: PHIL HAWKINS - MacLaren Youth Correctional Facility in Woodburn was without power for two days before partial electricity was restored via on-site generators. Full power was restored Feb. 17.While many Woodburn residents and surrounding communities waited for days — or continue to wait — for the return of electricity following the ice storm that blanketed the region on Feb. 12, nearby MacLaren Youth Correctional facility was able to return to operation relatively quickly.

Located on the north side of Woodburn off Highway 99E, MacLaren houses up to 271 youths from ages 12 to 24, and was left without power to heat its facilities and provide hot food for its population for two days before restoring limited power via its generator system on the evening on Feb. 14.

"We're grateful to our staff, who were present around the clock and throughout the long President's Day weekend, during and after the storm," Oregon Youth Authority Communications Director Benjamin Chambers said. "Throughout, they worked hard to ensure the youth were well cared-for and that facility operations continued throughout this prolonged weather event."

PMG PHOTO: PHIL HAWKINS - Work crews removed downed tree branches that damaged MacLaren's electrical systems throughout the Valentines Day weekend.Chambers said the ice storm caused damage to other systems within MacLaren's operations and physical plant. Working with an electrical contractor, OYA work crews were able to repair internal power lines damaged by falling trees, limbs and branches and work with PGE to bring limited power to the facility via generator system less than two days after power initially went out.

In the interim, youth were provided with extra clothing and blankets inside their living units, while facility workers brought in hot meals once a day from outside. Youth were able to call family members via cell phones, according to the OYA's communications blog,

Power was partially restored by 7:30 p.m. Feb. 14 before full power was brought back to the facility the morning of Feb. 17. Visitations, which had been suspended in the aftermath of the storm, were scheduled to resume on Sunday.

PMG PHOTO: PHIL HAWKINS - MacLaren youths were provided additional blankets and clothes as well as hot meals brought in from outside the facility while power was out.

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework