Support Local Journalism!        

Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Demonstrators appeared near the active crime scene at a Motel 6 just hours after the fatal confrontation.

PMG PHOTO: ZANE SPARLING - Protesters gathered on Northeast Grand Street near a Motel 6 after Portland police fatally shot a man on Thursday, June 24. A man was shot by police and later died at the hospital in Portland on Thursday evening, June 24, officials say.

Dozens of protesters swarmed the area surrounding a Motel 6, 518 N.E. Holladay St., in the Lloyd District as news spread online of the fatal encounter even before authorities had confirmed basic details.

They soon squared off with a large contingent of Portland Police Bureau officers, who deployed pepper spray and fired crowd-control munitions as they pushed the crowd away from the active crime scene. The demonstration, including some people clad all in black, continued past midnight.

A woman who described herself as an eyewitness to the shooting told Pamplin Media Group she heard two shots and watched one officer fire on a man in the midst of a mental health crisis.

"The guy was having a psychotic break," said the witness, Kalli Temple. "You could tell he wasn't all there."

PPB PHOTO - Portland Police Bureau officers investigate after an officer fatally shot a man in the vicinity of a Motel 6 on Thursday, June 24.Temple said she heard a commotion from her apartment at the Louise Flowers building and grabbed a pair of binoculars to get a better view of the man who, she said, was being led back into a second-floor room at the motel when the incident escalated.

"Dude wouldn't come in there. He went into another hotel room on the bottom," Temple said. "Cops got him out of there, he booked it and that's when the cops shot his a—."

Temple said the man was taken away by ambulance soon thereafter.

Police did not immediately identify the dead man, describing him only as a white male wearing black clothing, and said the identity of the officers involved in the shooting would be released later.

"We are early in this investigation. Preliminary information suggests our officer encountered a very difficult and dynamic situation that no officer wants to face," Police Chief Chuck Lovell said in a statement after visiting the scene. "I want to thank all our members who responded to the scene as well as those who were out taking emergency calls in the city. I'm thankful and proud of their efforts."

Police responded to the motel for a welfare check around 7:06 p.m. Thursday following reports that a man was suicidal and "high on meth," according to emergency service dispatch audio.

Videos posted on social media showed officers shoving demonstrators, who later pushed northward against the police line on Grand Avenue, exposing a patrol vehicle whose tires were quickly slashed. Authorities said protesters used pepper spray on police, grabbed an officer's baton and also broke a window.

This is the second fatal police shooting of 2021 following the death of Robert Delgado in Lents Park in April, which also drew protesters to the scene.

Zane Sparling
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Follow me on Twitter

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Have a thought or opinion on the news of the day? Get on your soapbox and share your opinions with the world. Send us a Letter to the Editor!


- Portland police ID officer, man fatally shot in Lents Parks

- Protesters rally after Portland cop kills man in Lents Park

Go to top