Link to Owner Dr. Robert B. Pamplin Jr.



Portland Police Bureau officers responded to multiple shootings and declared a suspicious death to be a homicide on Friday.

COURTESY PHOTOS: PPB / KOIN - Olance A. Upton and a file image of a Portland Police Bureau car are shown here. The heat was on Friday, June 25, in more ways than one as Portland Police Bureau officers responded to multiple shootings, including an incident that wounded two near a crowded nightclub, according to official reports.

Here's what went down:

Old Town shooting wounds two downtown

Two men were hurt after officers responded to reports of gunfire near an Old Town nightclub around 11:19 p.m. Friday in the city's Entertainment District.

"Officers arrived to a chaotic scene with patrons flooding out of a nearby bar," according to a news release. "Security in the area told officers that there was a shooting inside and around an area nightclub."

Police, however, did not recover evidence of the shootout inside the club, but believe it occured in multiple areas extending from Northwest Fourth Avenue and Couch Street to Fifth Avenue and Davis Street.

Police found no one injured inside but the men later turned up at a local hospital with "serious" but non-life-threatening injuries.

Officers found 28 shell casings from multiple guns and eight cars with bullet holes. Five hundred people were in the area at the time, police said.

VIA PPB - Olance A. Upton

Suspicious death declared homicide

Portland Police say a "suspicious" death has been officially declared a homicide after an autopsy determined that Portland resident Olance A. Upton, 47, died of a gunshot wound.

Upton's body was found around 12:29 p.m. Friday after Portland Fire responded to a death investigation near Southeast 147th Avenue and Clatsop Street in the city's Pleasant Valley neighborhood.

Three juveniles arrested in Hazelwood shooting

Police say three teens were arrested Friday after a shooting that triggered a traffic pursuit.

Police responded to East Burnside Street at Southeast 122nd Avenue followings reports of shots fired around 5:40 p.m. They found evidence of a shooting on site and at Southeast Ash Street and 117th Avenue, with multiple occupied cars plugged by bullets, though the occupants escaped unharmed.

Police realized the shooters had escaped in a stolen car, which they located as it was driving along Southeast 160th Avenue and Division Street around 8:40 p.m.

Police say the vehicle sped away and was pursued by officers to East Burnside and Southeast 148th Avenue, where three teenage boys ran from the vehicle. All three were taken into custody after a manhunt and K9 track.

A 16-year-old faces charges of second-degree attempted murder, second-degree attempted assault and unlawful use of a weapon; another teen, 16, faces third-degree assault, attempt to elude and unlawful use of a car; and a 17-year-old faces attempt to elude on foot and unlawful entry into a car.

All three were lodged at the local juvenile hall.

Zane Sparling
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Follow me on Twitter

You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.

Go to top
JSN Time 2 is designed by | powered by JSN Sun Framework