Police: Nine Portland shootings in 16 hours
Portland police responded to nine shootings over 16 hours that included two people being seriously injured and a service animal killed.
According to the Portland Police Bureau's Enhanced Community Safety Team, the shootings began just after noon on Tuesday, Aug. 31, and continued through the early morning hours of Wednesday, Sept. 1.
As reported by the police:
• On Aug. 31 at 12:12 p.m., officers responded to the Springwater Trail near the 9400 Block of Southeast Cooper after shots were heard. Officers located multiple cartridge casings in the area of an encampment at this location. No known victims or related property damage was reported. (Case #2021-242431).
• On Aug. 31 at 5:49 p.m., officers were dispatched to the 5000 Block of Northeast 101st Ave on a report of a shooting. Officers did not located any known victims. (Case #2021-242647).
• On Aug. 31 at 7:40 p.m., officers were dispatched to a shooting in the 1700 Block of Southeast 122nd Avenue, involving an injured dog. Officers located crime scene which consisted of multiple cartridge casings. Officers located an intended victim (not injured) and his service dog, which succumbed to gunfire-related injuries. This investigation has been assigned to ECST. (Case #2021-242798).
• On Aug. 31 at 9:07 p.m., officers were dispatched to a report of a male shot in the area of Northeast 13th Avenue and Northeast Multnomah Street. Officers located a victim suffering from a gunshot wound and provided immediate trauma care. The victim was transported to an area hospital with a serious injury. This investigation has been assigned to ECST. (Case #2021-242875).
• On Aug. 31 at 9:10 p.m., officers responded to the report of a shooting in the 2000 Block North Lombard Street. Officers located a victim with damage to vehicle caused by gunfire. Witnesses report that the victim and suspect in this case had no interaction and that suspect discharged firearm into the victim's vehicle and fled the area. There were no injuries reported. (Case #2021-242880).
On Aug. 31 at 9:40 p.m., there was a report of a disturbance which ended with a shooting in the area of the 1900 block Southeast 122nd Avenue. There are no known victims or related property damage. (Case #2021-242906).
On Aug. 31 at 11:08 p.m., officers were dispatched to a shots fired call in the area of North Portsmouth Avenue and North Willis Boulevard. Officers contacted several individuals, one who reported being in a physical confrontation with a group. A firearm was displayed during the confrontation and the victim ran off when shots were fired. (Case #2021-242960).
• On Sept. 1 at 1:05 a.m., officers were dispatched to a report of a shooting with a victim injured in the 6200 block of Northeast Columbia Boulevard. Officers arrived and found a male victim suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. Officers provided immediate trauma care and the victim was transported to an area hospital with critical injuries. This investigation has been assigned to ECST. (Case #2021-243035).
• On Sept. 1 at 4:25 a.m., officers were called to Southeast 74th Ave and Southeast Reedway Street on a report of shots in the area. Officers located a crime scene consisting of more than 20 cartridge casings, an unoccupied vehicle and an area residence which had been stuck by gunfire. There were no known injuries. (Case #2021-243106).
According to police, these incidents required significant numbers of officers, sergeants, detectives and criminalists to investigate, draining resources in the East and North Precincts.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.