Portland police: 7 shootings in 15 hours
The Portland Police Bureau responded to seven shootings in almost 15 hours.
The shootings were reported from just after 2 a.m. Monday, Sept 20, through Tuesday, Sept. 21.
The responses happened shortly before Multnomah County officials were scheduled to announce investments and regional efforts to address gun and community violence. The Thursday, Sept. 23 announcements were expected to be made by Chair Deborah Kafoury, District Attorney Mike Schimdt, Sheriff Mike Reese and others.
According to the Portland police bureau, the Enhanced Community Safety Team reported:
• The first shooting occurred at 2:20 a.m. at Southeast 67th and Ogden. Officers responded to reports from several callers regarding multiple shots fired. More than 10 cartridge casings were located. No victims or related property damage was located. Case #21-263320
• A couple hours later at 4:30 p.m., at Northeast 82nd and Sandy, officers responded and learned an individual was shot and wounded. The victim suffered a non-life threatening injury. Officers extensively canvassed the area, but are uncertain exactly where this incident occurred, but believe it was near the Grotto, which is located at 8840 Northeast Skidmore Street. Case #21-263395
• Later in the morning, at 11:09 a.m., officers responded to Northeast Prescott and Sandy on a shots fired call. Officers discovered multiple cartridge casings in the area. Preliminary information suggests that this was a drive-by shooting. There were no known injuries at this time. Case #21-263604
• At 1:54 p.m., Officers responded to a call of an individual with a gunshot wound who walked into a local hospital. The victim suffered a non-life threatening injury. Based on preliminary investigation, the Officers believe the shooting occurred in the 500 Block of Northeast Multnomah Street. Case #21-263753
• Just over an hour later at 3:07 p.m., another individual walked into a hospital with a gunshot wound. The victim was uncooperative with police and suffered a non-life threatening injury. The individual claims the injury occurred at a shooting at an unknown location in Portland overnight. Case #21-263821
• At 6:02 p.m., East Precinct responded to this area on multiple reports of shots fired. Multiple people on foot were shot at by suspects in a drive-by style shooting. There were no reported injuries. Case #21-264030
• Shortly after at 6:50 p.m., officers responded to the 5900 block of Southeast 72nd Avenue on numerous reports of shots fired. Officers located several cartridge casings at the crime scene. A related unoccupied stolen vehicle was located a short distance away after it was involved in a traffic crash. There were no known injuries reported. Case #21-264061
According to the bureau, the incidents required significant numbers of officers, sergeants, detectives, and criminalists to investigate, and drained resources for patrol.
You count on us to stay informed and we depend on you to fund our efforts. Quality local journalism takes time and money. Please support us to protect the future of community journalism.