The fire was quickly quelled, but firefighters also performed a rescue

DAVID F. ASHTON - Medical personnel evaluate the occupant of the burning house on S.E. 71st, and provide first aid. When a neighbor called 9-1-1, reporting thick smoke coming from the back of a house at 3111 S.E. 71st Avenue at 1:41 p.m. on April 3, Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) crews from four different stations headed to the Brentwood-Darlington neighborhood.

"I think the fire started in the utility room," a neighbor told THE BEE, as firefighters were tending to the wheelchair-bound resident.

Even though the blaze appeared to be small – perhaps involving a clothing dryer -- firefighters followed protocol and training by pulling water lines from engines, while other crewmembers searched the house, making sure it had been vacated.

"We got a good knockdown of the fire, and kept it from extending," a fire lieutenant remarked. "We were concentrating on getting the resident out of the home."

Paramedics tended to a burn on the resident's leg, but the person did not require transport to a hospital for further medical care.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine