An odd and violent home invasion, by folks who 'knew just what they were looking for' somehow

DAVID F. ASHTON - Portland Police K-9 team walks into the search area, preparing to explore the house and property for any suspects who might still be there. But all had left. A home invasion at a residence on S.E. Cesar Chavez Blvd. (formerly 39th) near Liebe Street, just south of Holgate, turned into a vicious assault on Sunday afternoon, March 11.

At 4:01 p.m., some twenty Portland Police units arrived. Based on what they learned from the victim, he'd answered his door, was assaulted, and he believed the suspects were still inside the home.

As the investigation began, police closed off Chavez, between S.E. Steele Street and Holgate Boulevard, and the street soon filled with both law enforcement personnel and emergency medical teams.

"Officers attempted to contact the possible suspects inside the location through the use of 'loud hail' and phone calls; however, no suspects exited the location," said Portland Police spokesman Sgt. Chris Burley. "Officers used a canine team to search the location, and determined the suspects were no longer inside."

As police were standing down, reporters spoke with the victim's dad, John Morrison, who said that his 45-year-old son was hit in the eye with the butt of a shotgun, and may need surgery.

The victim didn't know the two men and a woman who barged in to his home after he opened his door to them – battered him, then tied him up, as they ransacked the house, looking for money or valuables, his father said.

BEE news partner KOIN-TV-6 interviewed the victim himself, Josh Morrison, in the hospital. They report he said that the men bound him with zip ties while the woman went through the house looking for his safe, where he keeps his life savings. "They knew exactly what they were doing and looking for," he reflected, even though he apparently didn't know them. Once she found the safe, the men grabbed Morrison's own gun and demanded more money.

"There was a shotgun in my face," he told KOIN-TV. They pulled the trigger but the gun wasn't loaded, so they kept hitting him. "Hitting me all over my head with the shotgun, hit me right here where the staples are and started working on my eye."  

The intruders trashed the house, putting holes in the walls. They threatened to kill his cat, Watson, and broke the 15-year-old cat's shoulder. He finally had a chance to get out of the house and found people to call 911.

"I'm so thankful I'm alive, and have my cat," Morrison remarked. "Yes. I'm so thankful." The suspects' descriptions have not been disclosed. "Members of the Portland Police Bureau Detective Division are continuing this investigation," Burley confirmed.

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine