No major damage, other than smoke, from an industrial laundry fire in the Reed neighborhood

DAVID F. ASHTON - The firefighters on the roof reported on what theyd found there. A call from the Alsco Portland Industrial commercial laundry, at 5225 S.E. 26th Avenue in the Reed neighborhood, brought out fire crews on May 1 at 12:41 p.m.

Shortly after the alarm was sounded, Portland Fire & Rescue (PF&R) firefighters from Woodstock Station 25 and Westmoreland Station 20 arrived to find employees standing outside the building.

Some crews went inside; others laddered up to the roof. It didn't take long to extinguish the fire, but the firefighters spent some time making sure no embers remained in the plywood roof and beams.

"This fire was contained to a commercial dryer, and the ducting for the ventilation system," later said PF&R Public Information Officer Capt. Louisa Jones.

"It appeared that either the equipment overheated, or the material that was being dried had hydrocarbons soaked in – which lowers the ignition temperature, and can cause the material to ignite at normal dryer heat levels," Jones told THE BEE. "The company is looking into the cause of the fire."

Contract Publishing

Go to top
Template by JoomlaShine